CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

24th July 2012, 00:16
I have received a few emails from people asking if I'm going to London next week for the Olympics. I'm not, so I thought I should explain my visit.
in 1993, me and 3 mates went on a touring holiday on the west coast of the USA where our itinerary would take us round California, from LA to Las Vegas, then up to Sacramento to visit one of the lad's family friends and then San Fransisco. We travelled around LA and then Vegas, but on our way through to Death valley on a side tour, we had a car accident in the desert and two of us were air lifted by helicopter to the Las Vegas University Hospital. Me with road rash and brain damage and my mate Ste (Macca)had road rash and a broken back, Dan (the driver) had broken his arms and was taken in an ambulance and Jamie who was in the other front seat died in the crash. Because we were in a convertible with the top down, me and Macca were thrown from the car and landed on the road and Dan & Jamie were belted in.
I was unconcious and had stopped breathing at the site of the crash, but luckily, a passer by on the highway was travelling from Amargosa to Las Vegas to get supplies and he stopped to help, he got me breathing again (3 times) but I can't remember it. But whilst Macca was receiving treatment and operations on his back at the hospital, me and Dan went out to stay with the guy and his family in their desert location ( a small community of people). The same man is a Christian and is the Pastor of a local church out there, and he travels to undeveloped countries in South America and Africa carrying out relief work in areas of famine and disease.
He is flying out to Mozambique next week to do some of this work and is making his transfer at Heathrow next Tuesday. Him (Rick) and his wife (Marie) have sorted out that they are catching the next day flight on Wednesday, so me Macca and Dan are going down there to spend 24 hours of quality time with them before they continue on their way. We haven't seen them for 19 years and it will be an emotional reunion (especially for me I think) because he saved my life. But don't worry, I won't be coming back quoting the bible as I'm not religious at all but it will certainly be a spiritual encounter. I will be taking some photos when I'm down there of us all together again to keep as a momento of the meeting.
41 of 85  -   Report This Post

pastille

24th July 2012, 01:04
Les...what to say? That will be such an emotional meeting, but also wonderful, life affirming and joyous...

So glad he saved you...x
42 of 85  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

24th July 2012, 01:07
Les sorry I'm not long in and did my emails before looking on here .
Thats quite a story ( in the true sense of the word )
People are amazing . Its as simple as that .
Don't get sucked in by any mumbo-jumbo mate , they know when someone is a bit vulnerable :)

from your friendly atheist friend
marty
43 of 85  -   Report This Post

pastille

24th July 2012, 01:13
...being an atheist as well as bbm2, I mean saved you as in saved your life....not your sole!

More xxx
44 of 85  -   Report This Post

les40

24th July 2012, 01:20
Don't worry about my soul guys, I was brought up as a Roman Catholic, and I have never been swayed towards the cloth.
Remember, the man I'm meeting is a born again and he himself was a rum bugger in his time.
45 of 85  -   Report This Post

les40

24th July 2012, 01:25
I have received quite a few emails again but need to get some kip, I will correspond tomorrow with you all.

SLOOOOOOWWW DOOOWWNNNN a bit guys, your pens are on fire tonight.

Good night all.
46 of 85  -   Report This Post

pastille

24th July 2012, 01:40
Nighty night....
47 of 85  -   Report This Post

rosalind

24th July 2012, 09:51
What a story, Les. Hope you had insurance!

Very uplifting to hear of such good folk. I have always been grateful to the man who tried to save my husband's life by giving him CPR until the ambulance arrived. The police knew who he was but he asked not to be identified. I always wanted to thank him and I still do, 10 years later.
x R
48 of 85  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

24th July 2012, 14:06
Hi Les

I'm in Cornwall with the new family and hardly any phone / internet reception.

I could do my clues tonight if I'm not too late

All the best

DJA
49 of 85  -   Report This Post

les40

24th July 2012, 16:02
hiya djawhufc,

I have 3 words waiting for you and will send them now.
I'm afraid that Wendy and AJT1 will have to wait until next month now unless they want a small word each which I will clue if they don't show.
Rosalind, I will email you later
50 of 85  -   Report This Post