CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

andy from the 'well watp

7th June 2012, 22:35
Hey Pipesmoker - as you are a former 'Well man I hope you will be ok after your visit to the SGH. As the 'Well is virtually a steelworks free area the fresh air here would probably do you more good than the strong breezes which are rife on the Ayrshire coast. All the best.
31 of 50  -   Report This Post

devonian

8th June 2012, 12:31
Hi all - can I have an alternative clue for 6d, I've got -r-t- ? also 16a I see that its a palindrome, but are we talking a simile for 'decorate' - I've got -e-a-e- ? any help appreciated
32 of 50  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

8th June 2012, 12:55
hi devonian
Just checking in and it seems everyone has gone to lunch.
Alternative clue for 6d, it's word meaning "true facts" T + last 4 letters are a female Bible character & book.
16a is a synonym for "re-decorate"
J
33 of 50  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

8th June 2012, 12:59
I just noticed I mis-typed the clue which was "known facts" !
34 of 50  -   Report This Post

andy pandy

8th June 2012, 12:59
Devonian:

6d. - The penny has only just dropped here for that one: parse it as "The first" and a book of the Bible which is also a girl's name.

16d. - the re is significant. What do you do to walls, other than painting them?

Finished now, hardest one for a while, I think.
35 of 50  -   Report This Post

andy pandy

8th June 2012, 13:02
the re is significant

Oops, I meant the "again" is significant.
36 of 50  -   Report This Post

devonian

8th June 2012, 13:28
Thanks Jazzgirl & Andy Pandy - I had 16a but couldn't see the relevance! to the clue, its obvious when explained
37 of 50  -   Report This Post

mondrian

8th June 2012, 15:30
I agree this week`s puzzle was difficult. Thanks jazzgirl for re-assuring me that I was not alone in not knowing the name of that whale!

Pipesmoker. Its now Friday afternoon. Hope you are safely back from SGH and feeling better.

Caravaggio. Long time no hear! Hope you are well.
38 of 50  -   Report This Post

angelmcm

8th June 2012, 16:47
Bonsoir everyone. Received my scanned copy of the crossword this morning, Goodness knows when the 'real' copy will arrive - next year? Anyway, am finding it more than a little difficult. There are strange words I have never hear of! Have been reassured to read I am not the only one. I am sure I shall be back for help. Hope all went well at SGH Pipesmoker.
39 of 50  -   Report This Post

angelmcm

8th June 2012, 17:24
Well, I have actually managed to finish, but only, I confess, after googling the TV presenter. Who? Then I could complete 3D, and how obvious was that? Have just seen the news re storms about to batter UK. It isn't much better here to be honest, but so hope you all emerge unscathed - I may need your help next week! Bon courage...
40 of 50  -   Report This Post