CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tonyw

6th April 2012, 21:51
I don't think so Les40,yes one has to use a GPS
device that gives a co-ordinate .My home would be(not exact of course) in the area of.
N 51 38.123 W 000 04.123
So that is in North London/Enfield
I think the code is more of a description of the place so I could be wrong.

GPS codes are given like this
?? ??.??? ??? ??.???
21 of 63  -   Report This Post

rosalind

6th April 2012, 22:20
What is he Professor of?
22 of 63  -   Report This Post

tonyw

6th April 2012, 22:22
The nutty professor methinks!
23 of 63  -   Report This Post

tonyw

6th April 2012, 22:27
BTW if Anyone actually googles those coordinates ;I do not live on the A10.I live about 8 miles away on the edge of the countryside.I just put them as an an example.:)
24 of 63  -   Report This Post

syzygy

7th April 2012, 01:58
This could be totally "off the map". (-;

Tried converting it to Morse code (odd = DIT, even = DAH),
then "cracking" each group in two.

Got a usable string of letters at first, but too many possibilities. Then there's the inverse.

Where's the Secret Seven when you need them?
Anyone have a friend in MENSA?

25 of 63  -   Report This Post

les40

7th April 2012, 02:08
I've tried all manner of ways Syzzie to no avail I'm afraid
26 of 63  -   Report This Post

syzygy

7th April 2012, 02:17
Guess we're not smart enough.

I'll send this to friends who are into geocaching. Perhaps they might have a glimmer.

At least the Speccie was relatively easy.
27 of 63  -   Report This Post

syzygy

7th April 2012, 02:39
Les, what methods did you try?

Long ago, made a spreadsheet for cryptics. Basically an electronic pencil & eraser, because newsprint is rather fragile.
Quite elaborate now.

Was thinking of a way to use it on this enigma.

28 of 63  -   Report This Post

les40

7th April 2012, 02:56
I first tried thinking of word values like in scrabble, but in scrabble the words are only valued at 1,2,3,4,5,8,,10. With no 6,7,9.
I then wrote out the alphabet in a line and tried dirrerent variations of counting the amounts forward and then backwards from each letter start but that was just sending me round the twist, so I stopped and I've now given up and I think you should too, because... lets face it mate, it's nearly 3am here and I've been counting amounts of letters in sequences and I look like I need sectioning.
So I've just been on You Tube and blasted out some old 70's and 80's favourites of mine. The Clash, Tenpole Tudor, The Jam and a bit of The Skids.
And I looked up some info about The Skids, and I never knew that Richard Jobson (lead singer) Directed the film "16 Years of Alcohol" starring Kevin McKidd. which is a great movie.
We learn something everyday.

Off to bed now mate, have a good night.

Les40
29 of 63  -   Report This Post

syzygy

7th April 2012, 03:21
Bon nuit, Les.

We should post the Scrabble idea to your synchronicity thread. Went through exactly the same process, as well as various letter counting methods.

Oh well, I'm sure our old cerebra will stew about this overnight & have a eureka in the morning.

Btw, what is "sectioning"?
30 of 63  -   Report This Post