CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bootlebarth

5th January 2012, 17:12
I retire from this puzzle, defeated only by 2d (A*I*L), baffled by some of the wordplay, and unable to 'rebuild' 19d. I wonder how many southerners have heard of, let alone visited, the rebuilt versions of 15d and 4a.

Clues like 8d are unfair. The solution hasn't been absorbed into English. We puzzlers would all cry foul if an answer was an obscure Hungarian, Tagalog, Albanian, etc word or phrase.
31 of 56  -   Report This Post

ironman

5th January 2012, 18:12
B. - 2D is ARIEL (A= some; RIEL = Cambodian currency, i.e. 'sugar')
32 of 56  -   Report This Post

ironman

5th January 2012, 18:43
B - Oh, and 19D might be rebuilt as HORNCASTLE if I am not mistaken.
33 of 56  -   Report This Post

syzygy

6th January 2012, 02:19
Late to the party. Should have passed.

What a piece of work!
A favela is a shanty-town. Bit of a stretch to workhouse.
None of Wiki entries for these towns mention "workhouse". How PC.

Only place:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/
Too bad I don't have that encyclopedia.

And 3D TESTON ? Where does that lead?

Last quibble -- 26D It's EL ALAMEIN.

All in all, Ptui.

34 of 56  -   Report This Post

joan

6th January 2012, 07:10
St Neot?
35 of 56  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

6th January 2012, 07:34
I think it's Totnes.Must admit it was very hard going. Maybe I was lucky:the first place I found (guessing "castrated") was Tadcaster,& by chance the Wikipedia entry does mention the workhouse, otherwise I'd probably still be pulling my hair out now (quite apart from the help from all of you).Surely it's like most of the other more difficult cryptics we do,though: you learn a hell of a lot along the way,but at the end you ask yourself whether it was really worth so much effort (especially when your computer's about to give up the ghost,like mine yesterday). Oh,well...
36 of 56  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

6th January 2012, 07:36
...and btw I believe El Alamein is slightly different from Alamein if I remember the results of my search --- but quite honestly can't be bothered to start looking all over again.Recondite enough anyway! Nevertheless have a good day!
37 of 56  -   Report This Post

joan

6th January 2012, 07:45
GK - Totnes is much better than St Neot! It doesn't make any difference to completing the crossword, of course.
38 of 56  -   Report This Post

finn

6th January 2012, 07:59
I took shanty, in the ramshackle sense, as an anagram indicator to explain the title.
39 of 56  -   Report This Post

syzygy

6th January 2012, 08:39
Thanks Joan & GK.

Both work. Guess I was just grumpy. Full moon?
http://www.calculatorcat.com/moon_phases/phasenow.php
Anyway, hardly something known, or guessable, half-way round the world.

GK. Not seeing "Alamein" by itself, other than companies. If you remember, please post.
Hate to leave things unresolved.
Though, obviously, it's a long shot.
40 of 56  -   Report This Post