CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greedy kite

5th January 2012, 15:06
That much is clear to me,too --- but the only first half I can find is "jig",and what does that have to do with "rogue"?
AND if 1d is a normal word, why doesn't it show up at the head of this page when you enter the letters known? Or is one of mine wrong:I've got C???C?O?H?
My computer is going crazy BTW not just me!
21 of 56  -   Report This Post

joan

5th January 2012, 15:10
Not 'jig' - it's 'rip'.
I 'm sure this'll help you get 1 Down - it's a plural, so might not have come up on a solving site.
22 of 56  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

5th January 2012, 15:26
1d was SHROUDed in mysterty,correct? But now I can see no anagram for a place in Britain!Is absolute silence now the order of the day on what the 8 may have in common? If so, I shall have to give up for today...
23 of 56  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

5th January 2012, 15:32
...maybe just the first letter of the place that's an anagram of 1d: that's not asking too much,is it?!!!
24 of 56  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

5th January 2012, 15:57
Afternoon greedy k - 1d becomes Colchester
25 of 56  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

5th January 2012, 16:10
Nice to hear from you, sdkl:I had almost given up! That's what I thought, but I had one letter different for the word, though it has the same meaning, which meant the anagram didn't quite work out!
Are you willing to discuss what they have in common? Or is it just that they're all place-names? I'm not quite sure about 15d : the place would need St in front, or am I on the wrong track? Otherwise finished, but I was assuming all along they have something special in common.I'm sure you recognized it hours ago!And btw Happy New Year in case my greetings did not reach you via other channels!
26 of 56  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

5th January 2012, 16:12
15d becomes Darwen which was indeed a workhouse in Blackburn Lancashire. (By the way I am a Lancashire lass!)
27 of 56  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

5th January 2012, 16:29
1. Oh, a sex change! Wonders will never cease!(Just shows how I pre-judged your code name, of course!)
2. So I was right on the workhouses, was I? Now I've really let the cat out of the bag, haven't I .....
3. MOST IMPORTANT: now time to turn off/switch over to my favourite quiz programme on French TV, which i watch to improve my French as much as my general knowledge. It's also full of unexpected drama ,humour,different personalities...
Anyway a million thaznks: you have always been one of my main rescuers (saviours?!)
and today was particularly gruelling: at about 8 a.m. literally lost my voice cursing very loudly at the computer: it's not always peace & quiet here, you know.Have a pleasant evening..................
28 of 56  -   Report This Post

joan

5th January 2012, 16:31
GK - glad you got this finished!
29 of 56  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

5th January 2012, 16:48
So am I! Thanks to you as well, Joan! It was a very stormy day here, in more senses than one! Now for a bit of relaxation................
30 of 56  -   Report This Post