CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mondrian

6th October 2011, 17:17
Seamus - are you a newcomer to this site? If so welcome.

Greetings to Old gal, Pipesmoker and Navigator. Hope you are all doing well.

As usual I am stuck. This time on 6A `Flour for all courses` 15A Noisy little creature etc but some of you have given some clues, so I will have to think again. Also 1D `Disposal includes hot rock`
11 of 58  -   Report This Post

charlotte

6th October 2011, 17:50
Mondrian

6A is a common flour for bread/baking (think of a multi-course dinner)

1D is a 4letter word meaning disposal (think auction) + h for hot.

I hope this doesn't confuse you more.

Charlotte
12 of 58  -   Report This Post

wee jock

6th October 2011, 22:03
HOWDY FOLKS

PHEW! This is a bit of a challenge this week
wasit not,for me anyway and while I got through most of with a little more effort than usual,I got really stuck on 2d and 24a.
Didnt anyone else find difficulty with these
two stinkers? I've seen no comments to this effect so far so it's probably me who is the numpty although I have completed the puzzle
now brainstrained and exausted.
To say something positive, though,most of the other clues were clever,witty and solveable,thank you,Compiler.

NUFF SAID THE NOO.
BEST REGARDS TO ALL and
SPECIAL GOOD WISHES to OLDGAL,PIPESMOKER
and NAVIGATOR and ALL ARE NOT IN THE BEST
of HEALTH.
WEE JOCK
13 of 58  -   Report This Post

charlotte

6th October 2011, 23:18
Wee Jock

I also found some a bit tricky,but some very clever.

I got 2D quite quickly,it being an anagram of montreal + i + i (not 1 and 1).

I didn't like 24A but when I realised it was another word for horse + e for electronic + a type of cage,then I got it.

Charlotte
14 of 58  -   Report This Post

magworth

7th October 2011, 09:06
RT 41 Re clue 23 ac `Demon to provide one` is clear enough; I`ve got the answer, but where does `passenger` come in ? Can anyone enlighten me, please ?
15 of 58  -   Report This Post

lainey

7th October 2011, 09:23
Good morning all - Magworth, I think it just means one (i) is along for the ride in the word for demon.

Have a good weekend all, and best wishes to those not too well at the moment.

Regards
16 of 58  -   Report This Post

magworth

7th October 2011, 09:29
Lainey - many thanks! Is that all it is, then!
I add my good wishes to those having health problems.
17 of 58  -   Report This Post

cantersue

7th October 2011, 09:30
23a - Whole word = demon made up from a
word meaning "to provide" carrying letter i(one) as a passenger.
18 of 58  -   Report This Post

lainey

7th October 2011, 09:33
Cantersue, you explained it a lot better. I failed to mention the "provide" bit!

Best wishes
19 of 58  -   Report This Post

mondrian

7th October 2011, 11:12
Howdy to you too Wee Jock! I agree with you about No 24A. I still cannot get it and even Quick Solve failed to provide any help for me and I think I have every second letter from the down answers. When I asked for help yesterday I did not include 24A as I did not want to make my list too too long!!

Thanks Charlotte for yesterdays hints. Once I got the `h` from `hot` in 1D, 6A became obvious.

Re 15A I assume that the word `lower` in the clue is expressed by the first 3 letters `DIP` of the answer and the word `noisy` indicates that the `little creature` is something that sounds like something although spelled differently. I am now beginning to wonder if I am merely confusing everyone else as well as myself! Had better stop. When I first started doing these cryptics I would never have got this answer, so I must be progressing. Long may that continue.

Hope to hear from all the regulars.

I lovely day here in Strathclyde, thank goodness.
20 of 58  -   Report This Post