CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

navigator

20th September 2011, 14:06
Hi Folks, I'm sorry to have gone missing last week. The "Router" on my computer kept switching off and I wasn't very smart with RT 38 either. Thankyou all for your kind wishes .. it's just a case of taking the tablets and hoping for the best.
Jazzgirl is quite right about the healing
properties of "sweet" music. Two that would be on my Desert Island would be Salut D'Amour
(Elgar) and Flow Gently Sweet Afton.
I found today's puzzle so much easier than
RT38 and finished it in (for me) record time.
Again thanks for your kind messages and my best to all of you, with special thoughts for
my fellow NHS clients Pipesmoker and Old Gal.
N

1 of 52  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

20th September 2011, 14:13
Hi Navigator,
Glad your router's sorted and you're keeping positive. I too found RT fairly straight-forward today - unlike the Wordfinder, which as so often, I have trouble with. Any hints? (not the answer please). Best wishes for you & other sufferers' health.
2 of 52  -   Report This Post

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

20th September 2011, 14:17
Healing thoughts to you all!
3 of 52  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

20th September 2011, 14:36
Hello Navigator
My healing thoughts go to you, old gal, Pipesmoker and any others who are having health problems. You are doing well and pleased the music is helping. I also love classical music as well as jazz. When I am in reflective mood, I listen to Elgar's Wand of Youth suite ( a favourite of mine and of my late father ) Chanson de Matin, Chanson de nuit - absolutely beautiful and brings a few tears to the eyes. Also my favourite classical composer Chopin (waltzes played by Artur Rubenstein especially)I could talk for ever.... I have not yet bought RT this week, but will be back later for some help !)
Take care. Keep well.
Jazzgirl
4 of 52  -   Report This Post

nimrod

20th September 2011, 15:39
Enjoyed the RT this week. In particular, liked 9A, 22A & 17D.
Nice to to hear from Navigator.
Like you, Jazz Girl, I enjoy both jazz and classical music. Elgar, in particular, is one of my favourites and as you point out is a great composer. I have taken my "name" (NIMROD) from his life long friend, Jaeger, who along with his wife encouraged and supported his work. Elgar recognised this friendship in his Enigma Variations. Jaeger, in German, means "hunter" and in the Bible NIMROD was a mighty hunter.
My favourite Elgar piece is the Cello Concerto in E minor.; closely followed by the Violin Concerto in B minor.
Regards,
NIMROD
5 of 52  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

20th September 2011, 16:00
Hello Nimrod
I wondered how you had chosen your name, so thank you for enlightning us.
Nimrod always reminds me of the Remembrance Sunday service.
I inherited about 600 classical CD's when my husband died and, sad to say, I have not played them all as yet. I have just checked his written catalogue and there I found both Elgar's cello and violin concertos. They are now next to be played :)
Kind regards
Jazzgirl
6 of 52  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

20th September 2011, 16:01
Good Afternoon, One and All. Thank you for your kind thoughts.

For me, at first glance, RT39 was a bit of a horror. Even as I worked my way through the easy ones, only a few fell into place. However, once this stage was complete, the rest became more obvious, and it turned out to be no more difficult than usual.

Hope all are well, especially my fellow invalids.

Best wishes.

P
7 of 52  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

20th September 2011, 16:25
Good afternoon to you all,

What a nice surprise to see that Navigator has started the thread and then a later contribution from Pipesmoker. Let us all hope that Old Gal puts in an appearance as well.

I didn't have any problems with this puzzle and there were the usual constructs which indicate that it was the same compiler.

I like classical music too; in fact, I have a very eclectic taste in music so, if you feel so inclined, try YouTube for Karl Jenkins' 'Benedictus' from 'The Armed Man: A Mass For Peace' which is such an emotive composition that it makes me swallow very hard when I hear it.

With best wishes,

Caravaggio

8 of 52  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

20th September 2011, 16:38
Hello caravaggio
I can't comment on RT yet as I will be buying it tomorrow. I remember the first time I heard the music of Karl Jenkins. It was quite a few years back and I was on the top of the North Downs, in the car, with Classic FM on the radio. Someone had phoned in a request. I was just struck in awe and will never forget my reaction. Quite extraordinary.
Best wishes
Jazzgirl
9 of 52  -   Report This Post

wendy

20th September 2011, 16:48
Nimrod - I did wonder whether that was where your name came from.

A year before my old man and I married (1969) we had the honour to hear Jacqueline du Pre play the cello concerto - something I will never forget.

Great that she had Jersey connections and so tragic that she died so early in her career.

I do wish I could contribute to the RT thread but it doesn't seem to be online and our post In Jersey takes several days to reach us these days. They call it progress, but I'm not so sure!
10 of 52  -   Report This Post