CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greedy kite

29th September 2011, 07:53
I've worked it out:the solution is an anagram of z i pull a sail,izzard meaning just z (found by googling)--didn't know that either!I now have Nr 8 correct (never heard of it),thus making 15 on p.1 as often asserted here.But can you not help at all with 7 or 62?They both remain completely closed books to me,yet others presumably got them days or even weeks ago!H E L P ! ! !
251 of 285  -   Report This Post

johnnyboy

29th September 2011, 08:08
Greedy Kite - For 7 - think about scottish football; for 62 the first three words are an anagram of a book where the answer is the author. I am still having trouble with two where there have already been clues but I'm obviously too thick to understand them. 29 is .....bill but I can't cross ref 'court' to find a bird. and 49 - I understand 'wedding' for union but that's as far as I get. Can you help any further?
252 of 285  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

29th September 2011, 08:26
Many thanks for the hints:got both then at once of course!As to 29:you need an old word for "to flirt".And 49:we're talking slang for prison & an example in the capital that sounds similar to (but is not quite identical with)a certain part of it.All you're lacking for the 2nd part of the solution is a very common word for "successfully"!So good luck,and thanks again!!!
253 of 285  -   Report This Post

johnnyboy

29th September 2011, 08:34
Of course - doh! many thanks greedy kite
254 of 285  -   Report This Post

heather39

29th September 2011, 20:14
got the other 2 right away ,anotheray thanks, am going back over now and not happy with what i've got for nos. 10 and 20. so will be looking for clues again.
255 of 285  -   Report This Post

heather39

29th September 2011, 20:30
got no. 10. from an earlier clue thanks, but is there a word "laurelled" for the tree question?
256 of 285  -   Report This Post

johnnyboy

30th September 2011, 08:25
hi heather39 The answer is not only something that can be used as a building material but also a type of rock. It comprises a word for types of trees + a word for a 'character' of sound.
257 of 285  -   Report This Post

bridie

30th September 2011, 08:56
Has everyone but me found the answer to 34? Clue please for'Run! Big cat is alongside Virginia Lambert, a big boisterous woman' Does it end in 'val' -American state +initial L ?
258 of 285  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

30th September 2011, 16:55
having finished the whole thing this morning & sent it off without a copy,and since we are bound not to reveal too much here,all I can tell you is that the LARGE BOISTEROUS WOMAN can be googled (I'd forgotten the exact answer myself,and I'd never heard the word before,either)"she" begins with an R and ends in an L,I believe the abb. for a US state is involved,and apparently the word may come from the name of a place just over the border from here in the Spanish Pyrenees that is famed as the place where Roland,Count of Brittany,was killed by the Basques at the time of Charlemagne (late 8th Century)and is also on the most famous pilgrim path of St James crossing the mountains on the way to Santiago de Compostela!The word you are looking for is not quite identical with the place name,but very similar.So there---happy hunting!!!
259 of 285  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

30th September 2011, 16:59
Postscript:sorry,nothing to do with US,just abb for run+lynx+shortened woman's Christian name (tho' I don't know the character mentioned,I seem to remember you can google her,too,if you'll excuse my French...)
260 of 285  -   Report This Post