CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

9th September 2011, 12:41
*shore - typo.
71 of 75  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

9th September 2011, 12:43
greedy kite: I can't believe I'm citing Wikipedia, but this basically tells all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_postal It's an extremely overused expression; you hear things like: "When she opened her phone bill she went postal." If you were cluing it you'd certainly have to hint at its provenance (just as one would have to do with, say, "shambolic (Brit. Slang)" over here).
72 of 75  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

9th September 2011, 12:51
You have to love "the USPS does not approve of the term." Isn't that a scream?
73 of 75  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

9th September 2011, 14:58
Many thanks,Aristophanes!(if you knew,by the way,how much of Ar. I had to read in the original when I was young...)My -- in both senses of the word--ORIGINAL interpretation of the phrase (i.e.going slow)was based on our experience here in France of the very tardy delivery by UPS of goods ordered,say,from amazon.uk---but then I presume UPS is not USPS--or is it?In which cases I almost went postal myself...
74 of 75  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

9th September 2011, 15:13
UPS is a separate, private carrier, but it too could cause you to go postal. You've got to admit it has a certain appropriateness- rather like another American gem, McMansion. If ever there was a perfect word for pretentious houses that materialize overnight by the millions... Aristophanes would have loved it. I wonder how it would translate into Greek though.
75 of 75  -   Report This Post