CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

7th September 2011, 22:01
"That nice Mr Hilter"?
51 of 75  -   Report This Post

jws

7th September 2011, 22:14

mrs trellis

7th September 2011, 23:15
Ditto to all the above congratulatory posts to Ixion; and thank you for the education on Paddy Hitler - who knows when it might come in handy?
Thanks also to therogue for a great clue.
53 of 75  -   Report This Post

helenb

8th September 2011, 10:17
Just seen the result - wow - glad it was all explained - reminded me of the two retired prostitutes in Liverpool who decided to open a fish and chip shop, but suffered financially because of the bombing - on Monday they put a notice in the window - 'OWING TO HITLER THE CHIPS WILL BE LITTLER',on Tuesday they had to change it to 'OWING TO HIMMLER THE FISH WILL BE SIMMLER', but by Wednesday the notice had to be finally changed to 'OWING TO GOERING WE'VE GONE BACK WHORING' I theng you!
54 of 75  -   Report This Post

pastille

8th September 2011, 10:21
Good joke HelenB
55 of 75  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

8th September 2011, 18:44
ixion et al: here's a diversion from the Atlantic Monthly Puzzler archives.
http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/2003/09/puzzler.htm
56 of 75  -   Report This Post

trevor

8th September 2011, 19:18
i still can't see the spoonerism?
57 of 75  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

8th September 2011, 19:25
According to ixion, loverpiddlin, which makes it liverpuddlin. I assumed that you must pronounce it differently over there- I always thought -ian was phonetic. I automatically think of spoonerisms as involving switched consonants too, but vowels are fair game.
58 of 75  -   Report This Post

trevor

8th September 2011, 19:52
thank you Aristo...
jeez, i never used to be this slow (a phrase that races towards us all - do you still have gunslingers in the US of A? .none that are slow, i'd wager).
lover piddling - liver poddling.
good stuff.
59 of 75  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

8th September 2011, 20:09
Yes, we still have them, but unless they're unusually nostalgic they no longer look like Wyatt Earp; a lot of them seem to work for the Post Office. (I suppose you don't use the expression "go postal" in the UK.)
60 of 75  -   Report This Post