CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

Home » Forum » RT8

mondrian

17th February 2011, 17:11
Just wanted to say hello to Navigator and very pleased to hear your next appointment with the Doctor is August. Keep up the good work of being well. Also you live in a lovely place - Harrogate. Used to go to Trade Fairs there.

Not doing well with this week`s crossword but only just started.
41 of 73  -   Report This Post

charlies human

18th February 2011, 08:06
Good Morning All - Charlie and I went a little overboard yesterday with our posts but today we are back to our sober grown-up selves. I loved the crossword this week; it gave me a good mental workout though I did cheat for my last clue, but no matter. I started slowly but got the hang of it and finished it really fast. I also did a lot of work in the garden which probably got my mojo working. Have a lovely weekend everyone; Spring is nearly here. Yippee!
42 of 73  -   Report This Post

navigator

18th February 2011, 11:15
I look forward with great interest to reading more of the thoughts of the feline and canine members of our families. Any more likely to join?
Regretfully I live entirely alone, not even a budgie.
Thankyou Mondrian et al for your encouraging
words re my dodgy blood (1923 vintage).
43 of 73  -   Report This Post

charlies human

18th February 2011, 16:33
Dear Navigator - I'm very relieved that you found the life and times of Charlie and myself and The Divine Bubbles of interest. I really thought that maybe we had been a little excessive; it is well known that a single elderly woman with a cat is likely to be slightly gaga and we wouldn't wish to be seen as anything other than maybe just a tad eccentric, in the finest British Tradition. I would recommend you getting some kind of animal companion, but I don't recommend Goldfish or Budgies. Their conversation is too limited. Perhaps you might be interested in reading 'Timbuktu' by Paul Auster as an introduction to the conversational habits of dogs and their relationships with their people. Also, Buster, in his diaries, as edited by Roy Hattersley, makes an interesting case for study on this subject. Cats, unfortunately, are not literary-minded, preferring claw-sculpture of soft materials as a means of creative expression. Sadly it takes a very special kind of person to accommodate this particular artistic endeavour and I feel that I don't always measure up in this department.
Take your beautiful healthy Blood out into the sunshine this weekend and rejoice! Best wishes from Him and me, CH.
44 of 73  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

18th February 2011, 16:41
HI, Navigator. Thanks to CH for the kind words. I have had both cat and dog at the same time (cat made it her purpose in life to sit above dog height and swipe him on the back of the head if he dared pass by.

I, too, am getting on, and the responsibility of dog walking is now too much. Happily, No 2 son, took Rio, a Pembroke Corgi, to live with him. Both are happy, and cat even more so, since she no longer has to defend her dinner from an ever open mouth.

Cats are independent, and although frequently aloof, are great fun to have around the house.
45 of 73  -   Report This Post

deekay

19th February 2011, 10:16
Hi everybody

Having difficulty this week with the top left corner. Have I got 2d right as a run of five letters from the middle two words in the clue.(giving me an 'I' in 10a)

If so, 10a is not the word for a high pointed women's shoe as I originally thought. Is it therefore the name for something that is put in the heels of shoes to rise your height?

From this you can see that I don't have 1d or 4d either.

Further hints (not the answers please) gratefully received.

Deekay
46 of 73  -   Report This Post

crypto

19th February 2011, 10:23
Yes, you have got 2d right.

Re 10a, first 5 letters is a word for platforms, the next 3 letters is a word for test. Whole thing is something relating to 'footwork'.

Re 1d, It's an element - word for hatched with o for oxygen in.

Re 4d Rake is the whole thing (relates to a person not a tool) and is made up a word for recreation followed by a 3 letter word for ruffian which is then reversed.

Hope that helps

47 of 73  -   Report This Post

deekay

19th February 2011, 10:31
Thanks Crypto.

I've got them all now. I wasn't thinking of this connection with footwork - I was stuck with dance steps.
48 of 73  -   Report This Post

clueless

20th February 2011, 00:41
Thank you Crypto, your clues were most helful to this novice. Although I have my RT delivered I try to leave it alone until Friday and so come in at the end of the posts which are always fun to read.
49 of 73  -   Report This Post

mr light

20th February 2011, 02:11
Good evening all - finally plucked up the courage - have been sucking all your blood, from the the last couple of years - still haven't won a thing
This is the most hiolarious thread I've ever.
Please take me gently into non giveaway clues fold.
I will take on the likes o terry et twonk @ any time - I am yet one more Radio Times full on defender.
50 of 73  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT8