CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

karen

24th December 2010, 01:53
Best Wishes to all
Lets look forward to next year and new crosswords without getting too upset about them. I know in my heart, you are all good people,and have just got a bit carried away. Sometimes its a bit difficult to express yourselves by text,in a hurried way. Please remember we all just love doing crosswords,or we would not be visiting sites such as this. Or am I very wrong? Bestx
91 of 107  -   Report This Post

trevor

24th December 2010, 02:12
Karen,
ooo you are lovely,seriously.
have a great time(all the time)x
92 of 107  -   Report This Post

ruth

24th December 2010, 09:38
terry

With the aid of the link you provided I was able to refresh my memory of the disgraceful way you hounded and bullied K.
I quoted you as saying 'Get your head out of your arse' when you actually said 'You are in danger of disappearing up your own arse'
You justified this comment 'K must live a very sheltered life if it truly offends him.

The abuse led K to announce his departure from the site -

Terry

You will be pleased to know that I am leaving the forum with immediate effect. I won't miss your charming language but I'll be sorry to lose contact with all the friendly & knowledgeable people I've met in my short time here.
It is such a shame that a lovely forum can be spoiled by just one or two.
Post 17 of 31Posted: 27th
93 of 107  -   Report This Post

ruth

24th December 2010, 09:47
I should have added that following K's departure several senior and well respected members implored him to reconsider, one stating ' A run in with Terry is obligatory for everyone!

Just about says it all I think.
94 of 107  -   Report This Post

terry

24th December 2010, 15:33
Ruth,
You paint a picture of me single handedly running K out of town. That his own actions (including telling blatant lies on AB about a supposed petition on this site)played no part at all. If you really see things in such stark black and white terms there isn't much I can say is there.

Rather than yet another posting I'll comment here about Tourasts flaming thing. He'd be better off mugging up on Victim Culture because it seems pretty ingrained in him.

You (or Tourast)can say what you like now but I don't intend any further reply.
95 of 107  -   Report This Post

nigel

24th December 2010, 18:18
Last clue 17d (right-hand grid). I've been thinking about this for hours with no luck. A?L?I?A?E and presumably the answer relats to 'hate'. Full clue is
said to b worse than a storm in a teacup beginning with hate. Thanks
96 of 107  -   Report This Post

ajt

24th December 2010, 18:27
Your L is wrong; the answer is ABOMINATE
97 of 107  -   Report This Post

trevor

24th December 2010, 19:25
Ruth,
can i first say that i truly wish you a merry christmas.
But,you have implicated me in the hounding out and bullying of an elderly person and said that anybody doing the more advanced crosswords would agree with you.(a bit snobby,i thought,but hey!)

honestly,some of your pompous hyperbole has made me laugh out loud.I can't get Alan Partridge' voice out of my head(although turast might just beat you for overblown bombast)

Having read back the link that terry posted,
K was the first person to be rude,refused to apologise or acknowledge the he might be wrong(and he was)and then left in a fit of pique blaming terry's use of the word Arse.(terrys Arse is a greusome prospect,i'd grant him that).

was he the elderly victim of sustained mental abuse that you mention,or was he the very sharp keen minded individual that you mention ?
undoubtably the latter,which makes it all the more puzzling why he left at the drop of a hat.

on second thought,not puzzling at all.he wasn't banished into the wilderness by a cruel tyrant arse called terry,he just carried on posting at the AB where his bwilliance is unquestioned.
everybody here gets his answers anyway and he only has to post them once!

where is mikey4444 whose stoopid post started all this hokum?

had more to say but my ride is here. please don't take anything i say too seriously(as if you did).
happy xmas to you and everybody else.byeeee
98 of 107  -   Report This Post

nigel

24th December 2010, 23:22
Thanks - never thought to check my spelling.
99 of 107  -   Report This Post

turast

25th December 2010, 07:20
Terry & Trevor
As a knowing “troll” I’ll finish my contributions to this thread with the following. I apologise to all who’ve suffered the tedium of the nonsense which I have unwittingly instigated here. I know you must be as bored with it as I am.

Thanks, Terry, for assuming on my behalf that I disapprove of Mikey4444’s original comment about Sun readers. I would say that some of my best friends are Sun readers, but it wouldn’t be true, because due to a patently repugnant personality, I don’t have any friends. Your assumption is correct, but although I abhor his opinion, he is entitled to it. I hope I would never have the temerity to set myself up as his judge and jury on line.

I didn’t “downgrade” your definition of “Pantheon”, I quoted (from the OED) the one I had in mind. Oh, dear! How you both hated my use of that word. I must make a note of that for future reference. I’d hate to upset anyone further.

You are clearly not illiterate and I didn’t use that term to describe you. You do both seem very angry about something, though, but I’m probably way out of order in thinking so.

Trevor; thanks for posting the link to Wikipedia’s page about “Flaming”. I do not know how to post links myself, only how to cut and paste. I found that parts of it gave an uncannily accurate description of what has been happening on this thread, and also on the thread in which a contributor called “K” was involved in a similar set of exchanges. How Kafka would have loved that irony.

My objection has never been to having my opinions opposed. I’ve been married for 30 years and I have 4 children, so I’m quite used to it. I have, however, been unpleasantly surprised by the aggressive, sneering, sarcastic and contemptuous tone of some of the ripostes. I am not “dumb”, “dumber”, “stupid” or “arrogant”. I am, in reality, a harmless drudge too old and tired to summon up the energy for a “hissyfit”.

In giving the Voltaire attribution, I had you both specifically in mind. You have every right to hold your views. We have freedom of speech, in this country, thank God. Therefore I have to accept you as the self-appointed scourges of pomposity and wordiness and eradicators of any whiff of snobbery that you suspect. These are causes in which you clearly passionately believe. So, much to your well expressed regret, K and Ruth obviously had to go. I wonder if their real names were Winston & Julia?

Gentle readers! The hugely over-inflated bubble of my self esteem has now been well and truly pricked by Terry and Trevor. As I am, in this instance, the prickee, I’ll leave it up to anybody who’s remained awake long enough to read this far, to decide who were the…., sorry I must have dropped off there myself!

The opinion that I was originally trying to express, remains a view to which I adhere. Araucaria solvers should expect clues which are not always strictly Ximenean and that those who don’t like his type of crossword should avoid them, especially beginners, for whom they could eventually prove off-putting. Heaven forbid that those who are struggling with Araucaria would have tried to get started on cryptics with Bunthorne. Personally I hate Quixote’s clues, but If I do his crosswords, I have to accept the way he sets them and admit defeat if I can’t solve a clue. Fortunately, I’m so bwilliant that this never happens.

100 of 107  -   Report This Post