CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

monkey puzzle tree

23rd December 2010, 11:32
I think we need a period of stability here on this forum. Whether Araucaria is a "God" or not isn't really important. Can't we all just accept that he is rather good at his craft, and leave it there ? After all we all seem to like his crosswords, or we wouldn't be here in the first place !

And why are some people being so rude and offensive ? I expect that those who have been horrid of late, and they (mostly he!) know who I am talking about, would run and hide if they had to say such things to a persons face. Its just not cricket guys, so can we all just calm down.

Its supposed to be the season of peace and goodwill to all everybody. Lets all make New Year resolutions not to be rude in 2011!

A Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all !
81 of 107  -   Report This Post

ruth

23rd December 2010, 11:43
HEAR HEAR
82 of 107  -   Report This Post

turast

23rd December 2010, 13:41
Hi Ruth
I'm really sorry to have listed you. There was a comment saying "Good for you, Terry" under your name. If it was a posting by you, it now appears you were lured into praising what looked like an apology from Terry, which turned out to be some sarcasm. It also looks as if some mischievous imps are posting comments under the names of other people. I'm really heartened by your comments. In trying (rather ineptly as it turned out)to voice a general concern about not biting the hands that feed us, I used this thread because I feared that some contributors were somehow "measuring" their displeasure with Auraucaria (the usual Saturday setter), by the number of queries being put. I appear to have innocently wandered into a "political" minefield which already existed. I naively supposed that a crossword forum would, by definition, be characterised by good manners and a sense of humour. My daughter has explained to me the concept of "flaming". Absolutely tragic that even here, dealing with our gentle and harmless pursuit, bullies have hounded somebody out because they didn't like the cut of his jib. Apologies again, Ruth, and thank you for putting the recent unpleasant reaction to my posts in some context.
83 of 107  -   Report This Post

ruth

23rd December 2010, 14:29
Hi turast
Thanks for your comments.
Your description of my innocent posting is correct. I thought that terry had very belatedly seen the error of his ways and was apologising for his unacceptable behaviour.
It seems that an imposter had made the 'apology' and terry did not have any regrets whatsoever.

Happy Christmas to you.
84 of 107  -   Report This Post

terry

23rd December 2010, 17:54
Turast,
This is the posting I made that seems to have triggered this sorry saga:-

Surely,reading the Star or Sun does not make you semi-illiterate any more than reading the Guardian makes you a woolly-thinking,pinko buffoon.
Most people couldn't name one crossword compiler. And I expect that Araucaria would baulk at being placed in a Pantheon, because he is neither a god nor the illustrious dead. Get a grip lads.
Post 63 of 84

What on earth is so awful about that. Although you haven't distanced yourself from Mikey 4444's truly insulting comment I shall assume that you agree it's really off. Your only response was to downgrade my definition of Pantheon. When I still don't accept the idea you imply that I am illiterate. It is only then that I name you and Mikey Dumb and Dumber. So it's OK for you to insult me but unacceptable for me to be rude to you.

In your later postings you go on about being attacked by angry people,being flamed (whatever that is)etc. But all that has happened is that a couple of people have said you shouldn't have a go at those who criticise a clue or two. You go on to quote Voltaire as a defence of expressing your view. Fair enough, but why don't you also apply that to the unbelievers,or to me come to that for rejecting the Pantheon thing.

Ruth's comments about a previous argument only give one side of it. But to say bullies hounded him out is utterly absurb. Not one person (and that includes me)said he should leave. For what it's worth my thought at the time was that he had an overblown opinion of his own brilliance and couldn't handle it when someone politely showed he was completely wrong about something or other.He had a hissy fit,picked up his ball and went home.

I hope you enjoy using this site for a long time to come.
85 of 107  -   Report This Post

ruth

23rd December 2010, 20:09
Hi again turast

I too hope you will use the site for a long time to come. If not you should try Answerbank where unacceptable postings are subject to immediate removal by a duty editor and, certainly in the crossword section, personal abuse and offensive postings are very rare. Furthermore the incidence of impostors is also rare.
Finally I cannot let terry's comments that the valued contributor who had to leave was not hounded out through the abuse directed by him.Who tells an elderly person, among other things, to 'get his head out of his arse'?
Any of the regular contributors to the more advanced crosswords on this site will support the view that he was bullied and hounded out.
86 of 107  -   Report This Post

karen

23rd December 2010, 22:53
Hello All.This crossword really flummixed me for 2 days.I'm sorry, it has seemed to have upset so many of you. The last ones I got seems to have been the easiest of all,puts me to shame. I mean nobody needed help for any of them! May I wish all of you a 'Very Merry Xmas' and all the best for coming year!xxxKaren
87 of 107  -   Report This Post

terry

23rd December 2010, 23:11
Ruth,
If you are going to quote someone you could at least get it right. Why don't you read the thread concerned againhttp://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/71626/araucaria">here.
Despite your emotive words a pretty weak case I think. Also if you look at another thread forum/71747/mephisto-2604, you can read for yourself K's attempt to get a newspaper compiler sacked. Like I said he just couldn't take being in the wrong. The slightest sign of failing to appreciate his wonderfulness and bang. hissyfit. A bit like Turast apparently.
88 of 107  -   Report This Post

turast

24th December 2010, 00:30
Flaming, also known as bashing, is hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users. Flaming usually occurs in the social context of an Internet forum, It is frequently the result of the discussion of heated real-world issues such as politics, sports, religion, and philosophy, or of issues that polarise subpopulations, but can also be provoked by seemingly trivial differences.
Deliberate flaming is carried out by individuals known as flamers, who are specifically motivated to incite flaming. These users specialize in flaming and target specific aspects of a controversial conversation, and are usually more subtle than their counterparts. Their counterparts are known as trolls who are less "professional" and write obvious and blunt remarks to incite a flame war, as opposed to the more subtle, yet precise flamers.
Flamebait is a message posted to a forum with the intent of provoking an angry response (a "flame") or argument over a topic the poster often has no real interest in. While flaming can occur as a result of legitimate debates or grievances, flamebait implies the intentional posting of inflammatory rhetoric or images.
As stated, flaming can stem from a variety of issues, including misunderstandings, frustration, and perceptions of unfairness. Of course, one of the most popular motives (from trolls especially) is the desire for attention and for entertainment derived at the expense of others. Posted flamebait can provide the poster with a controlled trigger-and-response setting in which to anonymously engage in conflicts and indulge in aggressive behavior without facing the consequences that such behavior might bring in a face-to-face encounter. In other instances, flamebait may be used to reduce a forum's use by angering the forum users.
A flame war results when one or more users engages in provocative responses to the originally posted flamebait. Flame wars often draw in many users (including those trying to diffuse the flame war) and can overshadow regular forum discussion if left unchecked.
Resolving a flame war can be difficult, as it is often hard to determine who is really responsible for the degradation of a reasonable discussion into flame war. Someone who posts a contrary opinion in a strongly focused discussion forum may be easily labeled a "baiter," "flamer," or "troll." Therefore, it seems important to make the rules and focus of a discussion forum public to avoid misconceptions about its accepted use.
An approach to resolving a flame war or responding to flaming is to communicate openly with the offending users. Acknowledging mistakes, offering to help resolve the disagreement, making clear, reasoned arguments, and even self-deprecation have all been noted as worthwhile strategies to end such disputes. However, others prefer to simply ignore flaming, noting that, in many cases, if the flamebait receives no attention, it will quickly be forgotten as forum discussions carry on.[4] Unfortunately, this can motivate trolls to intensify their activities, creating additional distractions.
Taking the bait or feeding the troll refers to someone who responds to the original message regardless of whether they are aware the original message was intended to provoke a response. Often when someone takes the bait, others will point out to them YHBT for "You have been trolled," or reply with "don't feed the trolls." Forum users will also frequently "rate" the troll as means of acknowledgment, with statements such as "0/10, obvious troll is obvious", or "10/10, I raged."

89 of 107  -   Report This Post

trevor

24th December 2010, 00:50
or read it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_%28Internet%29"target=_blank> here
90 of 107  -   Report This Post