CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

turast

22nd December 2010, 10:33
Sorry. I still don't get it.
71 of 107  -   Report This Post

turast

23rd December 2010, 03:15
Terry, (& Trevor, Gwyn, Ruth)
I do not accept your inflammatory interpretation of the opinions I've been attempting to express. I have not called anybody a "moron", nor have I described Araucaria as "god-like". I certainly would never use terms such as "dumb" or "arrogant" to describe my fellow contributors. John Graham has been a publishing about 6 crosswords per month as Araucaria in the Guardian and as Cinephile in the FT, since 1958. He got an OBE for services to the newspaper industry in 2005. He is credited with being the inventor of the "alphabetical jigsaw" style of crossword, which was a prominent feature of the Spectator Christmas crossword this year. In a recent BBC4 documentary about cryptics he was "mentioned in despatches" by several of his peers. His place in a putative compilers's Hall of Fame (a term I've chosen in order not to excite folks even further) is, IMHO, beyond question. I simply do not understand why people who are attempting to solve his puzzles would want to criticise the quality of clues in them or , for that matter, in other puzzles, because they have been puzzling, obscure, convoluted, difficult, esoteric, abstruse or complicated. Those are the clues which are the most satisfying to solve. I also don't like it when "solvers" obtain answers on line and then rubbish the clue. That's all I was trying to say. You, and some other contibutors have taken exception to this, and, I gather, to the style in which I've tried to say it. I'm sorry if my views have upset you, and I admire your democratic fervour, but they remain my views. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it", as Voltaire aparently didn't actually say. But, don't twist my words and use inappropriate and untrue ad hominem adjectives because you have taken a dislike to what I've posted. I hope I will be able to make contibutions to this site in future without being "flamed" by co-contributors.
72 of 107  -   Report This Post

liz

23rd December 2010, 05:57
'Tis the season of goodwill. In that spirit, 10 across, second part, 6 letters - ?a?t?l. The Booker prize winner (Hilary) Mantel?
73 of 107  -   Report This Post

trevor

23rd December 2010, 06:58
Liz - your answer looks good to me.

turast
if somebody does not like a clue either they don't fully understand it or the clue is a turkey(yum),!!it happens why should you care?
I don't always like Araucarias clues,sometimes even a whole(usually themed)crossword can seem more like general knowledge.
this doesn't mean that i don't appreciate that he is a unique and often ingenious setter(some might take offence at your sweeping statement - i didn't).
giving a lesson on his achievements is totally irrelevant here.I knew all this anyway but it's just not relevant.i have been solving his clues for maybe twenty years.
you do seem to put him on a pedestal and take it personally when a clue(not him)is questioned.
btw,i don't recall being rude to you nor would i wish to be.(a bit sarky perhaps)
i just think you are a bit over zealous which ain't no crime.
happy solving/Xmas
74 of 107  -   Report This Post

jst

23rd December 2010, 08:24
Help Please! Stuck on 13/19 down. Had "fount of all wisdom" (tooth) but doesn't fit with 25ac PANDARUS, where have I gone wrong?
75 of 107  -   Report This Post

liz

23rd December 2010, 08:39
I think you are right with 13 down, which does connect with pandaris - I don't see where you think you have gone astray. Looks good to me!
76 of 107  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

23rd December 2010, 09:08
Liz - 10a 2nd part BRUTAL - the "R" coming from the downclue HORSEFLY (these clues are in GRID A)
77 of 107  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

23rd December 2010, 09:10
JST - Pandarus and fount of all wisdom do fit together in GRID A
78 of 107  -   Report This Post

jts

23rd December 2010, 09:30
Oh yes! Sorry folks - looks much better than it did at midnight last night!Can actually spell this morning! Finished it now, thanks for reinforcement
79 of 107  -   Report This Post

ruth

23rd December 2010, 10:04
Hi turast
I don't know why you included me in your list of people who have posted nasty comments about you.
As far as I can see I asked a question, got the answer & replied with a 'Do'h' to express my stupidity.

As far as Araucaria is concerned I also think he has been one of the great setters of the standard grid crossword.I'm inclined to the view however that he is slipping slightly but, given his advanced age, it is not surprising. He is held to such a high standard that when he does set a clue which falls short of this it arouses comment.
Some of your 'attackers' have form here. It wasn't all that long ago that Terry, & to a lesser extent Trevor, hounded out possibly the best crossworder we've ever had on this site. Terry so abused an old man , in filthy language that the gent concerned packed up never to be seen on here again despite many other contributors
imploring him to stay.
I have the feeling that you are now being targeted.
Good luck.
80 of 107  -   Report This Post