CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dougglos

18th April 2009, 10:58
JimB - You have almost got me convinced about your macintosh! Particularly as Chambers shows one of the definitions of "tosh" as "friend". So if you say "main" and "best" are synonymous, that only leaves the "C" in Close. Normally Close is shown as "Clo." in street maps, etc., but one abbreviations website I looked at gives just "C." for Close, so I really think you are on to something!
31 of 45  -   Report This Post

lizzyminto

18th April 2009, 14:37
MD JimB etc. what do you think of Muckender for no 19.

Mucker = friend
end = close

Muckender = napkin
32 of 45  -   Report This Post

lizzyminto

18th April 2009, 14:40
Dear All. quiet like Macintosh. spoilt for choice. from nothing to two I quite like!! any comments. or alternatives.
33 of 45  -   Report This Post

lizzyminto

18th April 2009, 15:53
MD JimB etc. what do you think of Muckender for no 19.

Mucker = friend
end = close

Muckender = napkin
34 of 45  -   Report This Post

jimb

18th April 2009, 16:12
Lizzyminto

The only thing missing is a reference to "best" unless, of course, mucker is, in itself a best friend rather than just friend??
35 of 45  -   Report This Post

mjdc

18th April 2009, 16:20
- Well done Lizzieminto... re. mucker - it is defined in Chambers as "best friend"!
Hip Hip Hooray!!!!
36 of 45  -   Report This Post

topsy

18th April 2009, 16:44
Very well done Lizzyminto ! I am going with that .Brilliant .
Can I just ask someone to confirm one answer for me ?
Q30 One hundred and fifty points to the right mark for holder .
I am dithering between Clothesline and Clothespegs or am on the wrong track altogether .
Many thanks
37 of 45  -   Report This Post

schooldaze

18th April 2009, 17:03
hello, just read your post, for 30 i have candlestick, can I ask about 36, for a starter easy opening clue was revised and left with obscure ending. Thanks in anticipation
38 of 45  -   Report This Post

topsy

18th April 2009, 17:11
Thank you schooldaze .Candlestick sounds much better !
For your query to 36 I have Ecuelle .A two handled bowl used for soup( a starter).E.Opening of easy .+ Clue (revised) and LE left .That's how I worked it out anyway.
39 of 45  -   Report This Post

gingerhendry

19th April 2009, 12:32
No.19. What about DOGCOLLAR??
Mans best friend DOG. Clergy being connected to Close, and collar going round?? or something like that!!!
40 of 45  -   Report This Post