CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

25th February 2024, 00:32
Agreed on King Priam, rogissimo. Though the only other Tippett opera I've seen is Midsummer Marriage, I'm confident I would prefer KP to the others. Elektra was one of the first operas I ever saw (@ Met Opera, NYC), extremely intense.
81 of 88  -   Report This Post

chrise

25th February 2024, 07:25
Brendan @70
How do you get to read the ones afte Benford's Law?
82 of 88  -   Report This Post

dhope

25th February 2024, 08:04
Not easy for me! Now in Australia so I could blame humidity, jet lag or fact I’m having to work online without comfort of newspaper and pencil. As usual from Picaroon a very clever crossword which certainly tested me. Took a while to get the theme , not one of my favourites but always good to explore new areas.
FOI 20a
LOI 19d
COD 11a
Thanks to forum for hints, stay safe.
83 of 88  -   Report This Post

jono

25th February 2024, 08:13
@Chrise, I had to do a separate Google search for the following articles, well the German tank one, which is as far as I got last night.
84 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

25th February 2024, 11:47
Chris@82 This is a link for the German tank problem but, as Jono says, you might have to Google the others

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/20/german_tank_problem_and_leaky_data/
85 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

25th February 2024, 11:53
Actually, if you type Simpson's Paradox into the search bar at the top of the page you'll get a link to that article.
86 of 88  -   Report This Post

luko

25th February 2024, 22:34
A fun one. I found 7d a struggle because I had 10a wrong, I was thinking of a classic 60s film recently remade, and thought it might have been done as a 14a as well. I struggled to get the right number of 14s but I assumed the figure given was a rough estimate within an order of magnitude, so ended up happy!

Thanks as ever for the hints and the company, and thanks as ever to Picaroon for a challenge at just the right pace for my cold-befuddled capacity this weekend

Yours in solidarity, see you soon
87 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th February 2024, 04:03
Re: The German Tank Problem and wondering whether it actually works in real life situations, this is an extract from an email I sent to one of my brothers some 10 years ago after I'd tested it for myself...

"I just tried it using a random number generator, where I put in a minimum of 1 and max. of 255 and generated 9 random no.'s., and, using the formula, I got 255.67! That's an accuracy of 99.74%. In the real life example during the war, the mathematicians were virtually spot on, as opposed to the Intelligence service estimates that were way off. In a more recent example, a guy posted a youtube video asking people to send him their Apple iphone serial no.'s and, using the formula, estimated that 9.1 million iphones had been sold to Sept. 2008"

I know it's a bit naughty posting this in the Prize blog, but it is Monday so I think most queries will have been dealt with.
88 of 88  -   Report This Post