CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rogissimo

24th February 2024, 01:04
Enjoyable thematic fare from Picaroon. FOI the easy 19a, LOI the tricky 1d. If I had to choose a COD I think it would have to be 29a.
1 of 88  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th February 2024, 01:13
Thanks to Picaroon. On the easy side for a Prize, particularly by his standards, but fun despite my not being fond of the theme. Would have been a super-fast solve but for one mistake that slowed things down.

The thematic idea occurred to me very early, but took a few additional clues to confirm.

FOI 9, LOI 7.
Favo(u)rites 7, 3, 11 and 20/15 (being a geek).
2 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th February 2024, 02:04
Lots to enjoy with this entertainingly themed offering from Picaroon.

Didn't find it too difficult and, even when I did hit a bit of a dead end, knowing the theme helped a fair bit.

If you do get stuck there is at least one anagram and at least one hidden, both in the downs.

The only clue I can't fully parse is, irony of ironies, 20a, where the first 2 letters are clear but can't get the last 3 from the remainder?

Also, nice to see the first 2 letters of 15d getting another airing - light blue touch paper and retire 🎆 although this time it's for "charm" rather than the usual "it" 😉

I think I've identified all the themed answers, although one of them is very different to the others which makes me wonder if I've missed a more obvious or mainstream one 🤔

COD - Lots to like, as is so often the case with Picaroon, but unlike most weeks where I have joint winners, this week I'm going to pick an outright victor with 11a - what can I say, I'm a paradox 😀

Thanks to Picaroon for a great start to the weekend.

Stay safe:-)
3 of 88  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th February 2024, 02:17
Brendan, in 20 read "ending" as "suffix".
4 of 88  -   Report This Post

rainman

24th February 2024, 02:17
I think the idea in 20a is that the last three letters are commonly used to produce the female form of a noun.
5 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th February 2024, 02:30
Okay, thanks Geeker, thanks Rainman.

I know Malone, Grunger and others on the Pedant's thread are fans of this suffix but I'm not, I've just never really seen the point of it - although that's no excuse for not seeing it.
6 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th February 2024, 02:38
Just to clarify, this isn't me me being misogynistic or sexist, in fact it's the opposite - I don't immediately assign or assume a gender when I hear a noun so I've always thought it to be a bit redundant and wonder if the current trend towards a more non-binary society will make it even more so.... I guess time will tell.
7 of 88  -   Report This Post

rainman

24th February 2024, 02:46
I like the theme, although none of the examples are my favourites. I prefer the one at the beginning of the 5d clue, which I hope is an intentional thematic nod.

I always find Picaroon's clues to be extremely elegant, at least when someone has explained them to me. I found his puzzle last week nearly impossible to finish. Perhaps the editor chooses the easier ones for the Prize slot, because this was much more manageable. I agree with @rogissimo about 29a being COD.
8 of 88  -   Report This Post

darla

24th February 2024, 03:24
A very clever puzzle, and not too difficult for a Prize. About average I'd say. My COD is 14a just because it references the 14 thematic entries. I guess that just tickled me, whether or not it was intentional.

I feel like I'm missing something with 1d, especially as rogissimo called it tricky. I know I have the right answer though, because I am using the app. Didn't care for its crosser 11a, specifically the definition. Nobody would refer to him as a "scientific expert" as opposed to "scientist" but scientist wouldn't work in the clue. A bit forced and awkward I thought.

I agree with you about the "ess" suffix, Brendan, and its close relative "ette." Almost completely unnecessary in modern times. I'd be afraid to express this view in the pedants thread though. 🤣
9 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th February 2024, 03:32
Definitely Darla, would not mention on the Pedant's thread 😂

1d - I'm sure you've got it right and seen the word play but, just in case, it's 2,3 "rot" minus last letter "a lot of".
10 of 88  -   Report This Post