CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

simond9x

2nd January 2024, 15:57
@Buddy

Agree. We're in the UK and it's in my wife's Top 5 of all time. So I was very familiar with the theme and would recommend the theme to others.
31 of 45  -   Report This Post

aspria

2nd January 2024, 16:39
I've done exactly the same as prospero when submitting. Buddy, it must the great cultural divide! I'd never heard of the work in question and only found it when googling.
32 of 45  -   Report This Post

jvector

2nd January 2024, 17:38
Thanks for the tips, folks. That was a real now-yo-don't-see-it, now-you-do moment. The theme is something I've heard of but am not famiiar with (it's on an increasingly long to-do bucket list), and I don't know that I would have spotted it without some nudges.

However, as with any good themed crossword, knowledge of the theme is not an essential for solving the puzzle, which I found quite satisfying.
33 of 45  -   Report This Post

boson

2nd January 2024, 19:56
I'm a dual national (UK/US in that order). I've spent far more of my years in the US than the UK, so the work is familiar to me. I would be SHOCKED if someone age 40+ in the US had not heard of it. I can certainly understand, though, that people in the UK may not be familiar with it since it dates back to just before the information age.

If nothing else, perhaps this will persuade those that haven't to familiarize yourself with it! It is highly recommended
34 of 45  -   Report This Post

mjlogan

2nd January 2024, 22:50
Hello, all. This is my first time post, though I've read the forum many times. I'm all done except for 17 across, which alludes me. Any hints?
35 of 45  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd January 2024, 22:59
Hi MJ, it’s a bit of an odd word meaning pop. You presumably know that the last letter is unclued. The rest is two letters “what” inside four letters “record”.
36 of 45  -   Report This Post

mjlogan

3rd January 2024, 00:23
Thanks. That's a new one for me. I had actually written it in based on the wordplay, but I was convinced it was not a word so I erased it.
37 of 45  -   Report This Post

mrcodger

8th January 2024, 04:52
The letters in the rightmost column give an interesting word.

The wordplay of 10a and solution of 1d are related to what must be entered in the grid.

Very ingenious.
38 of 45  -   Report This Post

minno

8th January 2024, 17:21
Took Prospero to guide my eyes to the theme. Last one in 7d. Using Jono's grid on phone handy but next time I'll combine it with written or printed grid or clues because going between sites discombobulating. And I've enough of that. Thanks to both and Qaos.

39 of 45  -   Report This Post

nlb

9th January 2024, 21:41
Surely, as the answers only require the solved words, solving all the clues correctly will be enough to ensure the correct reworking of the grid has been done.
40 of 45  -   Report This Post