CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pendragon

1st January 2024, 16:39
Thanks, jono, but this has been stuck at number 242 for many months now, with no new winners or solutions
21 of 45  -   Report This Post

prospero

1st January 2024, 19:26
came to this late in the day and I have the grid complete, with the thirteen unclued letters, and the work in question (though it seems to have 2 extra letters - I wonder if one is meant to erase these - though the rubric doesn't seem to indicate this ... if we block out the 7 gaps, it gives us a line rather than a tunnel - it would make more sense to open the other eight - though that isn't indicated either ...
22 of 45  -   Report This Post

jvector

1st January 2024, 21:06
OK, I have the left & right columns and the linkage, and the corresponding missing thirteen letters ... but I'm at a loss as to what & where the nineteen thematic letters are. Any pointers?
23 of 45  -   Report This Post

prospero

1st January 2024, 21:44
early down clues, jvector
24 of 45  -   Report This Post

boson

1st January 2024, 21:57
jvector - 19 letters of the completed grid spell out a work (several words). These are separate from the 13 letters mentioned in the rubric. But, the 19 letter work is related to what the 13 letters spell out in the completed grid along with the enumeration "errors".
25 of 45  -   Report This Post

aspria

2nd January 2024, 10:13
prospero, I think you're barking up the same wrong tree (as I did at first) with the 19 letter title - there's nothing to erase. Check obscure works connected with theme. So how to submit? Shading is clearly impossible and the only way I can see of indicating the rest of it is, as another contributor suggested, by leaving gaps in the appropriate places. Is that what they want? Would it be too much to ask somebody from the illustrious national newspaper in question to enlighten us?
26 of 45  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

2nd January 2024, 10:16
Thanks to Qaos for a fun puzzle - although it tests the Genius entry form to near destruction! The best I could manage was to enter the short answers with a gap in the appropriate place and indicate the highlighting by capitals. As to indicating alteration to the grid shading, that’s obviously out; but, for what it’s worth, I tend to agree with Prospero that, were it possible, lightening the relevant dark cells would be a more satisfying representation of the thematic material than shading the empty ones.
27 of 45  -   Report This Post

aspria

2nd January 2024, 10:32
yes, capitals is a good idea!
28 of 45  -   Report This Post

buddy

2nd January 2024, 12:07
I'm intrigued by the comments here that suggest that the theme is obscure. In the US, the work in question routinely makes "Top Ten .... of All Time" lists (I've seen it ranked as high as #2), and is nearly unavoidable if you pay the least bit of attention.

I am not quite sure it is #2 of all time, but it is very much worth engaging with if you have the time and inclination to do so.

(I think I have carefully tiptoed around the nature of the work)
29 of 45  -   Report This Post

prospero

2nd January 2024, 13:00
I see the rubric remains unaltered - and you obviously can't "rework the grid's shading" as instructed ... I tried using different colours but that doesn't work. Normally I submit in capitals (since that's what you write in the grid) - but today I've used lower case + capitals for the "theme" and spaces for the supposedly filled-in blanks.
30 of 45  -   Report This Post