CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gitto

5th November 2023, 11:04
Still struggling on with this, but I now only have to solve 23a. Additionally I haven't a clue on the 8 letter string required for 13a, and I haven't even started on figuring out what the play is. I hope the letter count for the 4 extra words is 20!
51 of 249  -   Report This Post

granama1

5th November 2023, 11:06
Grinding my way towards a conclusion and giving QAT a thorough workout. I have one big stumbling block in 31a 'Ian's assessed for tax...' I have a possible answer but it's a clumsy looking word and can't seem to gain enlightenment from the 4 letters wordplay.

Hints v welcome!

Thanks.
52 of 249  -   Report This Post

gitto

5th November 2023, 11:08
Granama1 - see post 49.
53 of 249  -   Report This Post

cockie

5th November 2023, 11:10
I have, after many hours, a complete grid apart from 6 gaps, presumably found via the endgame. There are four writers involved: is the quotation by one of them? Is it in ODQ (I have hunted, but without success)? I have the shape and its size - nicely clued and arithmetically almost exact - and a mere 36 cells in which the centres will be located, Stare, stare, I have gone. But nothing.
54 of 249  -   Report This Post

williamseal

5th November 2023, 11:15
I've spent some time on this but am making very slow progress. I cannot help but feel that there are too many layers of complication for one puzzle. The jumbled entry of the across clues seems to require a lot of cold solving.

Its the general opinion that this one is particularly difficult?

As a Welsh rugby supporterI know a lost cause when I see one.
55 of 249  -   Report This Post

buddy

5th November 2023, 11:24
There are 3 different quotes, one by each of the authors found from the down clues. A segment from each quote is found in the grid. As the preamble notes, the word following each segment is the key to the final step,
56 of 249  -   Report This Post

1esk19

5th November 2023, 11:42
lumen

it's not in the chambers word wizard (or my BRB)

but other word search dictionaries are available
https://onelook.com/

57 of 249  -   Report This Post

kindred2

5th November 2023, 12:00
Wow, when the penny drops that's an incredible crossword
58 of 249  -   Report This Post

granama1

5th November 2023, 12:02
Thanks Gitto, it looks like my rather clumsy word is right but leaves me with something of a quandary re 28d and 25d. I'm pretty confident I have the first letter of 28 (Equipment to test...) and a set of options for the rest and the first 2 letters of 25d (Archer is one...) - my immediate thought was 'excon !' 😄 - and a set of options again.

I'll have another hard stare later. Off to deepest, darkest Sussex shortly for a 'battery recharge'. 👍
59 of 249  -   Report This Post

pootle

5th November 2023, 12:13
Williamseal #55 - I’m finding this very difficult. If it wasn’t for this forum I would have given up but currently I still feel I have a fighting chance of finishing.
60 of 249  -   Report This Post