CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

3rd November 2023, 15:43
The clues...
Requests for help should normally include the clue itself, the number of letters in the answer, and details of any you already have. Please also include any special instructions or additional information - something common in Listener puzzles.
Hints only, please, no answers.

The theme...
Help towards the theme may also be sought here. It's hoped that the 'help' will be a nudge or a pointer in the right direction - not anything overly revealing that would spoil the puzzle for other solvers. Any queries or responses which, even inadvertently, give away too much are likely to be removed.

The Listener is a unique puzzle and should be treated with respect.
1 of 249  -   Report This Post

specsaver

3rd November 2023, 18:06
Just trying to get my head around the instructions: I hope that the down clues are doable...
2 of 249  -   Report This Post

dylan

3rd November 2023, 20:02
Does anyone yet know whether the four or eight letter wordplays are themselves proper words?
Looking very tricky so far!
3 of 249  -   Report This Post

buddy

3rd November 2023, 20:27
the wordplay bits are not proper words
4 of 249  -   Report This Post

0pt0

3rd November 2023, 20:41
When I saw that the setter was Quinapalus, I thought that we were in for a tricky one. So far, I seem to be right: a good few down clues solved, but only one across answer so far (19). Plenty of time yet.
5 of 249  -   Report This Post

cmjhutton

3rd November 2023, 21:23
Bit of a slog but I’ve filled the grid (except for 4 ambiguities) and parsed all the clues. Really struggling with the theme. Does anyone know if the changeable letters in across clues can be any letters, or if they have to be swapped with other letters in the clue?

If anyone has made any progress re the endgame a hint would be much appreciated!
6 of 249  -   Report This Post

h1982

3rd November 2023, 22:03
I got the changeable letters to mean that one of the letters in the clue could be replaced by another letter (not necessarily from the clue) and the clue would still make sense. For example, in 19A, crashed could be trashed and the clue would still work. So you have a pair of c and t for that clue…
7 of 249  -   Report This Post

lumen

4th November 2023, 08:43
Why is the word character used, not letter?
Are we to understand that the play title starts with twenty-two letters?That's a long title.
8 of 249  -   Report This Post

buddy

4th November 2023, 08:47
The use of character is quite deliberate and yes it is a long play title.
9 of 249  -   Report This Post

bananabean

4th November 2023, 09:24
Does 14a contain two H's?
10 of 249  -   Report This Post