CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

luko

25th October 2023, 00:56
Re 6d, Grim @ 89 and following discussion: my memory of A level chemistry is the same , I thought the word in the clue strictly meant a high-pH corrosive substance which the answer is not. It was a write-in with that misgiving, but I said to myself ‘I wonder what Chrise will have to say?’ I don’t think we’ve heard from Chrise this week, I hope all is well

There was an early question about the passing of 21a that I don’t think was answered, it splits 1-1-6 but I’m sure the asker worked it out before long.

I’d hoped 14a and 23d would give a more interesting medieval theme, I feel we’ve had the actual theme too often before!
111 of 112  -   Report This Post

chrise

25th October 2023, 07:14
"Caustic" just means "able to burn organic material". "Saustic soda" (sodium hydroxide) is one such substance (and a solution would have a high pH), but low pH solutions can also often have this effect too.
112 of 112  -   Report This Post

luko

25th October 2023, 08:29
Thanks chrise, I stand corrected. My A level chemistry was a very long time ago!

Have a good week all
113 of 112  -   Report This Post