CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

21st October 2023, 23:20
... Mario Lemieux I meant
101 of 112  -   Report This Post

geeker

21st October 2023, 23:23
Hockey is a funny sport. People who never played it have great difficulty following the puck, especially on TV. I grew up near Chicago, less than a city block from a municipal park with an outdoor rink, so learned skating and the game quite early.

Yes, the three you mentioned (it's actually Mario Lemieux) were great and exciting. The greatest player I've ever seen, purely in terms of how much his talent exceeded that of his contemporaries, was Bobby Orr. Unfortunately his career was shortened by knee injuries.
102 of 112  -   Report This Post

geeker

21st October 2023, 23:27
Bobby Orr could kill an entire 2-minute penalty just by skating around the rink with the puck: none of the five opposing skaters could keep up with him!
See for instance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LZ6GAX_xi8&t=21s
103 of 112  -   Report This Post

jono

21st October 2023, 23:35
Gents, does this relate to the crossword? If not, perhaps this chat could move to the coffee and cake thread :-)
104 of 112  -   Report This Post

geeker

21st October 2023, 23:36
Sorry, jono. Will ask norah to move it or delete.
105 of 112  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st October 2023, 23:37
Oh wow - that was amazing!

I've just been reading about him on Wiki - what a player. Inducted into the Hall of Fame at 31, youngest ever.
106 of 112  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

22nd October 2023, 06:22
Jono, Brendan, Geeker

I have not removed any of the chat posts but I would appreciate it if this discussion could continue in the Cafe and keep this thread solely for its intended purpose.

You may if you wish started a dedicated thread for this topic, prefixed by @, as I have previously said that personal chat threads are permissible, up to a max 3 on the first page of the Forum.
107 of 112  -   Report This Post

dhope

22nd October 2023, 06:24
Thanks Jono .
108 of 112  -   Report This Post

neko99

22nd October 2023, 10:27
A very entertaining Prize from Maskarade. I found it the easiest for a long time. Took me less than an hour - which for me is amazing.

Thanks to all for the gentle hints in the thread. Made life even easier. :)
109 of 112  -   Report This Post

jaffra

22nd October 2023, 20:18
Coming back very belatedly to the forum: I found most of it very easy, apart from 19d, as I know nothing about Tarot and had to google the whole list of cards to understand the hints. A few comments.

I am familiar with the Law associated with12a, and remember an example of it. I was filling a length of plastic tubing with water to make a water level. It was full of bubbles which had to be removed. As they floated up small ones joined together and instantly their speed changed. Fascinating.

24. An old-fashioned word and concept which was very relevant to a constitutional crisis in the late 1930s. As a boy then I remember singing and chanting "Look who's coming down the street, ... ... with her sweaty feet." Very irreverent.
110 of 112  -   Report This Post