CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

karen

14th October 2010, 13:49
Hi Mondrian, re 2d The answer is a wine, the capital city bit is part of the answer with 2 notes within the name of the city (Capital of Oman). Hope that helps.
By 1a do you mean 7a?
21 of 44  -   Report This Post

nimrod

14th October 2010, 15:23
Mondrian,
With regard to 11A I assumed the plural was used as both (or more) of those involved in the greeting have to raise their hands.
Welcome to Charlies Human from RT thread 41, nearly missed your comment until I, like Mondrian, re-read RT 41. Good weather for bulb planting. Hope to hear from you this week.
Like Navigator, 22A, I first came across in my confirmation classes as it was/is part of The Creed used at Mass. (Now, probably updated into modern English usage.)
Yes, well done in Chile - a very smooth and successful rescue operation.
22 of 44  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

14th October 2010, 15:30
Hi Nimrod,

I too went to confirmation classes [my father took them] and that answer wasn't a problem to me either. I hope that you're progressing, although you have implied that it could take time. After the last few days, when I thought that we were going to have a late Indian summer, today has been a shock to the system and a number of ladies have been wearing gloves...

With best wishes to you,

Caravaggio
23 of 44  -   Report This Post

navigator

14th October 2010, 15:42
Mondrian.
11a plural clue. The definition I obtained was :
" a greeting or expression of admiration when two people each raise a hand above the shoulder and bring the fronts of them together with force"
24 of 44  -   Report This Post

nimrod

14th October 2010, 16:10
Thanks Caravaggio. Much better week. Have been out in the garden by myself for first time. The garden always cheers me up, particularly with the fine weather over the last weekend. As Hippocrates said "Healing is a matter of time, but it is also a matter of opportunity."
The word "quick" is still used in one of the two authorised versions of the Apostles' Creed and is found in the 1662 Book of Common Prayer.
Fascinating isn't it how much you have remembered/stored in your brain from those formative years?
25 of 44  -   Report This Post

mondrian

14th October 2010, 18:09
Thank you Karen (yes I do mean 7a) and I still haven`t got it. Thank you Nimrod and Navigator for the explanations re 11a. I was picturing someone waving hence I thought of it in the singular. Must keep remembering that in clues every word and letter is relevant.
26 of 44  -   Report This Post

crypto

14th October 2010, 20:29
22a was the last one I got and I was grateful for confirmation of the explanation in this thread because I wasn't aware of that meaning.
27 of 44  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

14th October 2010, 20:39
Hi Mondrian,

If you checked the flow of a river, you would *** it and beavers do it very well. The more affectionate French form of you is tu. If you put 'tu' inside the three-letter word, you will find a word that means 'fact' - or, as synonyms, a piece of information or an asuumption or premise from which inferences may be drawn.

I hope that helps and I'm sorry for the earlier confusion!

Kind regards,

Caravaggio
28 of 44  -   Report This Post

the police.

14th October 2010, 20:48
For God's sake, you might as well just say the answer is datum.
29 of 44  -   Report This Post

nimrod

14th October 2010, 21:56
The Police:
Thanks for your reply.
This RT thread tries to encourage and show people how to complete cryptic crosswords. It gave me the confidence to tackle cryptic crosswords.
If you are competent at crosswords - fair enough - but I see no reason to mock those trying to help people, by breaking down the clues, enabling them to find the answers on a "user friendly" thread for themselves, rather than just asking for the answers.
30 of 44  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT 42