CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

confused

13th October 2010, 19:40
I agree Les40. As someone who is fairly new to cryptics I would appreciate more help. None of my friends do crosswords, so the only way to discuss them is on-line. How else will the Listener recruit more devotees? I wouldn't submit a crossword I had had help with - even if I did I am hardly likely to be a threat to the correct-every-week group.
11 of 40  -   Report This Post

halil

13th October 2010, 23:15
The old fashioned pre-computer way, confused, was to give any particular puzzle your very best shot, then pounce on the published solution, figure out the wordplay of the answers you had been unable to solve, and use what you learned in this way to help with the next puzzle.
12 of 40  -   Report This Post

kookaburra

14th October 2010, 02:03
I'm one of those "new kids on the block". Although I wait for the solutions, I still have trouble interpreting the clues. Thanks to the generous and good-humoured assistance from people on this site, I am slowly improving.
(The Listener must be a shocker if Sudokulover finds it difficult.)

13 of 40  -   Report This Post

les 40

15th October 2010, 14:09
You shouldn't lose faith, I started with the easier puzzles that offer both cryptic and quick clues to the same answer (The Sun do this now), then progressed onto The Daily Express and my local paper, The Lancs Evening Post, Then onto The Daily Mail,which still offers a good challenge.Then you would be better sticking to The Times daily as you can check any missing answers the next day, as Halil said, and any that are still not understood-then post a thread asking for an explanation. I had to this week about a clue in the Sunday Times. And I still feel that the Saturday Times can be a tad vague at times.(That was too many Times)
14 of 40  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

15th October 2010, 16:21
Hello Les 40 - I know the Lancs evening post, being a Lancashire lass (used to live nr beacon fell many moons ago!) Now in Derbys
15 of 40  -   Report This Post

les 40

15th October 2010, 19:41
Well, hello Sudokulover. I never thought I would tweak some Lancs interest, but I know that area around Garstang and Broughton, leading to the Trough of Bowland... Yes I,m from Preston too, but I'm south of the river in Bamber Bridge. It,s only a small village, but so many people seem to know it because of the major motorway links around it. I hope the weather is better where you are now in the midlands.
16 of 40  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

15th October 2010, 23:59
Good evening again Les - according to the experts on Answerbank, this week's Listener is a good one for beginners! I've downloaded it and may well have a go - might not get to it till Mon though as the weekend crosswords beckon first! ( A quick glance shows 5 or 6 very easy anagrams, so they should be a good help to get us going) I'll be back!
17 of 40  -   Report This Post

cruciverbalist

16th October 2010, 09:57
I'm not sure that Listener 4107 was for 'beginners', but it does typify what the series is all about and I'd highly recommend it. If anyone would like any pointers in private feel free to contact me (cruciverbalist@btinternet.com)
As confused has already mentioned it's worth being careful not to give explicit hints on a public forum before the solution has been published lest others take offence.
18 of 40  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

16th October 2010, 10:18
Thanks for your offer cruciverbalist - may well be contacting you for help soon! Busy with the Times & Guardian puzzles today though!
19 of 40  -   Report This Post

hypotheses

16th October 2010, 14:22
This week's (4108) is a doddle, as Listener Crosswords go. Easiest for some weeks, and good one to try out for newbies.
20 of 40  -   Report This Post