CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

18th February 2023, 17:17
Earlier on I was quite sure that 4 would end HAL.
61 of 71  -   Report This Post

roof

18th February 2023, 17:23
HI everyone

I started after lunch as usual and thought it must be an easy one as I'd filled in the SW corner straight away. My FOI was the mushroom. So then I thought I'd take a rest to piece my patchwork, which I want to get done this week-end, but came back and found I was stuck. I've just read through the long thread and filled in a couple more. So my answer to 23d isn't "yahoo". I'm disappointed- my husband and I had a conversation about Gullivers Travels. But no wonder I couldn't get 22ac.

I've just seen the answer to 9ac. I'd worked out the definition. but couldn't think of the second word. Back to the drawing board, but I will be back for more hints soon.
62 of 71  -   Report This Post

rocky7

18th February 2023, 17:35
I also had yahoo for a while roof. It was only when I got the across clue and it had no y in it that I twigged.
63 of 71  -   Report This Post

minno

18th February 2023, 17:42
Agree with Chrise on 11a preference. An amusing definition. Also a good misdirect.
64 of 71  -   Report This Post

roof

18th February 2023, 18:38
Hi Rocky and others

Well, much to my surprise, I've finished. I got in the washing and filled them all in. Thanks for all the hints, though when I got them I realised that I had already thought of that answer, but couldn't see why. Lots of hidden definitions didn't help. My LOI was 5d, which for some absurd reason took me ages, but was obvious. I'd never heard of 3d as my knowledge of golf is much lower than my poor knowledge of football. I spent ages trying to think of a virus from which I could drop an "I" before hitting on the much more obvious one for 10ac. I still haven't completely parsed one or two.

As I said before my FOI was 15ac. My COD is 18ac, closely followed by 9ac.

At least now I can get on with my patchwork.
65 of 71  -   Report This Post

chrise

18th February 2023, 18:43
I took some time to see the "Hey" in 5d.
66 of 71  -   Report This Post

aicram

18th February 2023, 20:05
Just reading all the posts. Unlike some of you, I have the top half completed and the bottom half looking empty and sad. Would really like some help with 24 across and possibly 23 and 25 across too so I can sleep soundly tonight.
As always, this blog has been helpful to me. I found this crossword difficult!
67 of 71  -   Report This Post

chrise

18th February 2023, 20:10
24 is an anagram
23 "expressed satisfaction" is the loose definition
25 short is the definition
68 of 71  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th February 2023, 20:11
Hi Aircam,

24a - anagram I mentioned in first post - definition is "reward for going"

25a - 2 letter "skirts in August" go around/to be introduced both 2 letter "Bachelor extremely" and 2 letter "excited" - definition is "short"
69 of 71  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th February 2023, 20:14
Apologies, I meant Aicram:-)
70 of 71  -   Report This Post