CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

18th February 2023, 16:27
11 (sing.) maybe also in Tristan and Iseult?
51 of 71  -   Report This Post

rocky7

18th February 2023, 16:28
OK. The clue is more obvious than I thought. Worked it out from the clue and looked it up. Not one I've heard of.
52 of 71  -   Report This Post

rocky7

18th February 2023, 16:33
All done. Can't say this wowed me exactly. Some quite average clues and there isn't really a COD that jumps out. I'd go with 12a I think. FOI 1d LOI 16d.
53 of 71  -   Report This Post

philo

18th February 2023, 17:01
Hello all
I found it quite hard but got there in the end with help from the forum and my wife. I really like 20d as a clue - although not difficult it has a nice surface and misdirection.
54 of 71  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th February 2023, 17:03
Same here Philo, I really liked 20d, although it did take me an age to solve:-)
55 of 71  -   Report This Post

philo

18th February 2023, 17:06
It made me smile because I'm a bit too much of a sponge at the moment.
56 of 71  -   Report This Post

micky

18th February 2023, 17:06
I found the bottom half pretty straightforward, but the top half FAR more difficult. Even so, after a while I thought I had filled in all the solutions but didn't understand the parsing of a few clues, so I zipped over to this forum for help. It turned out I had one filled in wrongly: I had a very common word, which could mean "commotion", as my solution for 4a, but couldn't figure out why "prince" meant "B". Now I know better. Two others I did get right, but needed help from this forum to fully parse; they were 10a and 11a. In 10a I should have realised what "for one" meant, because the same expression with the same meaning came in last Saturday's Guardian, and I understand it easily, but for some reason this time I didn't. Dunno why. I struggled with trying to parse 12a because I thought the 4th to 6th letters were the "trouble".

FOI 15a. LOI 4a. There were several contenders for COD, but I think I'll go for 25a.

On the whole I enjoyed this one.
57 of 71  -   Report This Post

philo

18th February 2023, 17:12
Micky, I did the same thing with 10a. A forehead-slapping moment followed the penny-drop.
58 of 71  -   Report This Post

jono

18th February 2023, 17:13
Hi Micky, interesting that you mention the word beginning with B as an option for 4a.
A couple of weeks ago Tramp posted the following clue on Twitter and I now wonder if it was originally intended for this puzzle…

Harry's book, Spare (6)
59 of 71  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th February 2023, 17:14
Micky, I had a similar experience, in that I found the top half immensely more difficult that the bottom. I also tied myself in knots with 4a when, even though I'd correctly solved it, I kept going back to try and see if maybe the "prince" and his brother, ie. B??? of them, might be E?, - absolute nonsense of course but it didn't stop me:-)

nice one Philo 😂
60 of 71  -   Report This Post