CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

26th November 2022, 17:43
Hi Roof,

5d - you literally replace a "section" of 'literature' and replace it with a single letter, this gives a word meaning something that could "link" (or bind) 2 of the answer.

9a - 4 letter "unyielding" + "in charge" which is apparently what the "Screwtape letters" are (according to Google)

41 of 65  -   Report This Post

minno

26th November 2022, 17:43
Yes. I see now I had the wrong answer. Thanks Brendan. I'll put aside this shoehorn now.
42 of 65  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th November 2022, 17:48
Roof,

6d - it's "warm" as in a 'warm feeling' and "press a suit" as you may do in a relationship.

7d - I got this by focusing on something that "hymn" and "psalm" both share in relation to the theme, then confirmed the "Christian year" part on Google.
43 of 65  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th November 2022, 17:50
Thanks Minno 😂
44 of 65  -   Report This Post

roof

26th November 2022, 18:13
Thanks Brendan

I got 6d when I stopped trying to put "heater" in as the second word. I may also have got 9ac, though I don't think of the four letter word as meaning "unyielding". So just down to the final three, but slow going. I don't understand your hint for 5d or Chrise's for 14ac.
Is a "section of literature" the same as a "genre"?

The only thing I can see in common between "hymn" and "psalm" is that they both have silent letters.

I think the time has come for a glass of wine to loosen my brain.
45 of 65  -   Report This Post

chrise

26th November 2022, 18:18
Hi roof
14 is very clever. Write out what the clue tells you, then move the letter on the right to the left (the letters are also hinted in the clue)..

You'll kick yourself very hard when you see 7d!
46 of 65  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th November 2022, 18:20
Hi Roof,

7d - Yep, that's it - Google the Christian year followed by S.....

5d - It's literally "literature" not a synonym in which you're replacing the "section" with a single letter - the definition is something that 'binds' more than "links".

Enjoy your wine:-)
47 of 65  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th November 2022, 18:27
Roof, re my @41, ignore "2 of the answer".
48 of 65  -   Report This Post

roof

26th November 2022, 19:03
Many thanks Chrise and Brendan

Only one left and yes, I'm kicking myself over 7d. And over 14ac. For 5d, I eventually realised that it was part of the word "literature" I had to replace, but I can't for the life of me decide what the final word is that links or binds them -what?. I'm making a guess so I can say I've finished and eat my dinner in peace.

Yes, some clues were very easy, but others were very difficult and I still can't see what my elderly cat called Oscar has got to do with the solution for 15ac. I have also failed to parse 2d, 13d and 20ac and I can't see what the radio has to do with 10ac. I was amused to see that someone in the thread referred to BFG in the context of 8ac.

My FOI was 12ac closely followed by 22ac. My LOI is 5d and my favourites are 26ac and 16ac
49 of 65  -   Report This Post

micky

26th November 2022, 21:18
I found a large number of very easy clues, and a small number of rather difficult ones. I'm still stuck on 3 clues: 2d, 10a, 16d. Others have commented on 2 & 10, but as far as I remember nobody else has suggested that 16 is a difficult one, so am I just being stupid? There seems a fairly obvious first word for 16d, but I can't think of anything for the second word. I've found a couple of names of islands that fit, but they don't seem to make any sense. Any really gentle hints for any of those three clues?
50 of 65  -   Report This Post