CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

10th October 2018, 19:27
Of course you can retreat, MM - nothing in life is worth pursuing if it's proving to be more of a pain than a pleasure! (PS 1 D + 18 D)
61 of 74  -   Report This Post

jigjag

10th October 2018, 19:38
ChriseE

Thanks for that - I had to look him up. I regret to say I had never heard of him. My A level physics of old did not cover his sort of stuff.

He did not feature in this EV, but as you say, he discovered so many elements that he would be a good subject for a future one with his elements hidden in the grid.

It was good to look at M's P. Table (Malone's Patio Table?) again after many years. I was surprised to see that elements were discovered only 3 years ago.

There have been some interesting EVs recently and this one was superb.
62 of 74  -   Report This Post

malone

10th October 2018, 21:34
Jigjag, it sounds as if you enjoyed this as much as I did. I'd been feeling a little disgruntled as there seemed to be a glut of overly-simple EVs. This one was challenging, fun and interesting, and suited me perfectly.
63 of 74  -   Report This Post

jigjag

11th October 2018, 10:15
Malone

Yes really enjoyed this one. Nice to have a challenging puzzle where you have to work something out, apart from the clues. Also I learned something from this EV and from ChrisE' s posting.

I agree that most of the recent ones have been rather uninteresting. and while straightforwardness is a good quality, we need a bit more occasionally.
64 of 74  -   Report This Post

manic mary

11th October 2018, 18:52
That has put me well into my place with my blundering attempts! Actually, Chris, there I think there has been at least 1 that has had the chemical elements as an integral part of an EV, a long time ago I think, but could be any time as I have been doing (attempting to do) the EV since No 1.
65 of 74  -   Report This Post

malone

11th October 2018, 19:58
MM, thanks for bringing back horrible memories! There was a very scientific EV in May 2016 and I think it put me off chemistry for life. We had to remove or insert 'salts' - but as a blog showed later, these had to be 'gp1 halides'. I think it was - and still is - my least favourite crossword ever.

66 of 74  -   Report This Post

manic mary

12th October 2018, 10:01
I think I actually managed that one, my worst ever are the horrible number ones, my maths is about as good as my physics & chemistry.
67 of 74  -   Report This Post

jigjag

12th October 2018, 12:02
MM

well done on that one!. I couldnt get anywhere with it.

Malone

you have a good memory - I dont imagine you keep records. I keep a few of the brilliant ones and look back at them from time to time.

The only niggling thing about this one is the double attribution, but it did not affect it as the 2 were involved.

You get wrong attributions in football and cricket which must annoy the originator
68 of 74  -   Report This Post

diefishboy

12th October 2018, 12:07
I'm still really struggling with the 11-word instruction. Can you give me a powerful hint, please?
Or just tell me.
69 of 74  -   Report This Post

jigjag

12th October 2018, 12:12
I cant remember it exactly but you had to take the lower number from each relevant pair, double them and add the results to the other 3 items.

it gave a number between 105 and 109 and if you look at the table it will jump out at you.
70 of 74  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1351