CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

fgsltw

7th July 2018, 20:26
Thanks for help everyone! A great puzzle!
21 of 107  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

7th July 2018, 21:05
Martyn - there are 3 main invaluable sources:-

1. Chambers - the 'BRB'
2. Bradfod's - Crossword Solvers Dictionary
3. Last but not least by any means - Quinapalus on the web

Armed with those you will be completing Listeners every week!
22 of 107  -   Report This Post

martyn

7th July 2018, 21:47
Many thanks - though I fear that your optimistic assessment go the effect on my performance may be misplaced.
23 of 107  -   Report This Post

meursault

7th July 2018, 21:52
Martyn, before the interweb I used only 3 references : TCD, ODQ and a thesaurus. Now you have all sorts of online help also, Onelook and an anagram solver are 2 that I use. There's no need to spend a lot of money on additional references...
24 of 107  -   Report This Post

saoralba

7th July 2018, 22:05
drxx - if 23 is to follow the pattern set by all the other thematic clues then it does need to have the omitted letter in the wordplay as well as in the (untreated) answer ... and BRB confirms that the fourth word can be turned into an appropriate definition.

It's an added pleasure to find that the completed grid contains only real words. If Pock is a newcomer this is an excellent debut.
25 of 107  -   Report This Post

drxx

7th July 2018, 22:38
Yes saoralba - 'power' can be adapted to provide a different synonym (not 'see' but 'seed') thanks for putting the record straight - I think it's important that errors are pointed out so that other solvers aren't led astray.
26 of 107  -   Report This Post

macky

7th July 2018, 23:03
Is one across midst without the d. Thankyou
27 of 107  -   Report This Post

drxx

7th July 2018, 23:36
Yes macky - add the letter to 'she' for the outer word synonym and take away the initial E (2 letter abbrev for 'police officer' inside).
28 of 107  -   Report This Post

planks

8th July 2018, 09:20
A welcome puzzle after two that I really struggled with, surely a contender for the shortest ever preamble?

I have the Kindle version of Bradford on my iPad which makes works really well for me. I also use Chambers electronically which makes searching a doddle.
29 of 107  -   Report This Post

phantom

8th July 2018, 11:34
Got all that, but don't see why 'thick' is in clue.
30 of 107  -   Report This Post