CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crypto

6th July 2010, 14:44
I've recently got a bit more time on my hands and have been doing a few crosswords / puzzles. I saw your entries on this thread and thought I'll have my first stab at something a bit more complicated. My first impressions when I read the instructions that nine of the solutions are 'non-words' did worry me. Having now spent most of the day being absorbed in it I have just completed it. That said, I couldn't have done it without the clues in this thread - so thank you for introducing me to it and for the help.
41 of 65  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th July 2010, 16:14
That's great Crypto.Having the kind of discussion on these more complicated puzzles sparks off ideas - without divulging the answers too early we can all have more fun. I expect you know that the Genious puzzle is published online on the first Monday of each month. The same site published a prize crossword each Saturday which is usually good fun. On each Thursday thee is also a more complicated puzzle published by the Spectator. I google Spectator, and then Smart Edition - which is the online magazine. There are thumbnails of the pages on the right-hand side which you run through to find the crossword - usually near the back. You will find the same sort of conversation about that here on Thursday, so do join in. Happy puzzling
42 of 65  -   Report This Post

melissaj

6th July 2010, 21:29
Can I have some help please with 2 clues "that need doctoring" 18d and 14a ?
Thank you for any hints, clues or help.
43 of 65  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

6th July 2010, 21:43
For 14a the "bit" you need to remove is at the beginning and "party pieces" is the definition
44 of 65  -   Report This Post

crypto

6th July 2010, 21:53
Hi Melissa

For 18d the bit you need to remove is also at the beginning - two words. (I had one today for my dinner!).
45 of 65  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

6th July 2010, 21:56
For 18d again the "bit" you remove is at the beginning (in fact it's the same bit as 14a) and hot food is the definition (2 words)
46 of 65  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

6th July 2010, 22:09
Evening AJT if you are about - I really enjoyed this today, very satisfying how everything sorted itself out after a long struggle for me!! Thanks for introducing me to this puzzle!
Let's hope one of our fellow crossworders is a winner!
47 of 65  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th July 2010, 23:05
Hello Sudokulover - Yes, it was a good one, wasn't it ; very satisfying to finish it. Do you know that the Crossword Editor of the Guardian writes a colum about the crossword section on the first Monday of the month? Usually a bit later in the day than the puzzle. Quite interesting, because he sometimes comments on how many entries there are for this puzzle, and when the first one comes in.
Now we've got Thursday to look forward to.
48 of 65  -   Report This Post

dizoz

7th July 2010, 05:29
hi to AJT. re your interest in guardian genius and prize crosswords as challenges. I do them too but I have a lot of trouble with Azed. you too?
49 of 65  -   Report This Post

ajt.

7th July 2010, 06:07
Good morning Dizoz - we're two early birds.I haven't been doing Azed for very long, and really I find it easier than Mephisto. I'm not any good at making-up clues, as required this week, though. It's the feeling of achievement, isn't it, when you've finished a really difficult puzzle? What I find good about this site is the competitive spirit it arouses. Do you like the Spectator puzzle?
50 of 65  -   Report This Post