CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

buzzb

24th December 2017, 01:01
If 'prime' were elided there would be 17 extra words, as there is no doubt about any of the other 16 being extraneous.

I think it is so, but it bothers me to call '2' a symbol.
21 of 77  -   Report This Post

candlestick

24th December 2017, 01:33
I’m struggling with the folding business. I can make the shape using three folds, the first two of which are blank square to blank square, but then I need to make a third fold before I end up with an almost symmetrical shape (which I then presumably need to fold in half on its only symmetrical axis). I can’t get a symmetrical shape with two folds and I can’t find any help on the net.
22 of 77  -   Report This Post

gitto

24th December 2017, 07:55
I'm with S_Pugh on this one and having nightmares about that stupid hare! Which rectangle does the instruction refer to, as the large one gives an answer very close to 2, but the smaller one in the centre gives an answer very close to 3!! The former is the closer to an integer, but both fit the preamble. Having said that, I haven't started the paper folding yet, so I was wondering if that resolves the ambiguity?
23 of 77  -   Report This Post

gitto

24th December 2017, 08:17
It is the larger rectangle, as one side of the thematic object is 17, and the other is 16.97. What is the point of the 3rd fold?
24 of 77  -   Report This Post

wintonian

24th December 2017, 11:20
Hi, Meursault, re bugs and beetles, I wonder whether the setter was thinking of the Volkswagen Beetle, which was known in the USA as the Volkswagen Bug (cf the movie "The Love Bug"). Although the dictionary definition of "bug" is fairly loose, it is, I agree, too much of a stretch to apply it to any insect.

I'm away from home for Christmas, but I made sure I packed my copy of The Chambers Dictionary, in its seasonal red dust-jacket.

A Happy Christmas to all contributors and "lurkers" on the Listener forum.

25 of 77  -   Report This Post

meursault

24th December 2017, 11:41
And best wishes to you Wintonian, and all the regulars. You're absolutely right about the American usage of 'bug'. They have bug screens, intended to keep out all insects. But then the setter would need to indicate that it is an American usage (or colloquial/erroneous UK usage). Not a big deal, just a bit sloppy...
26 of 77  -   Report This Post

ebenezer

24th December 2017, 18:18
Greetings from a new member, tho a long time listener solver and (fairly) long time follower of this site. Although too often answers are given. On this one I think the extra word at 9 helps to identify the rectangle required, so it is not 2. The blanks correctly folded form a nearly thematic shape tho I agree the third fold is unnecessary
27 of 77  -   Report This Post

unclued

24th December 2017, 19:45
As usual I’m some way behind with the solving - too many distractions and housework.
In 22 I couldn’t find reference in Chambers for cut that means “strongly affected”. Also in 17 does ROSA = Parks?
Thanks to all the friends on this site. I’ve managed to struggle through every puzzle this year except the Shackleton thing - life’s too short. I am sure Meursault appreciates all the “origami” in this one!!
Happy Christmas.
28 of 77  -   Report This Post

smartie

24th December 2017, 20:08
Unclued - one of the definitions of cut is to wound, hurt or affect deeply.
29 of 77  -   Report This Post

smartie

24th December 2017, 20:14
Parks with a ? indicates a word related to Parks. Rosa Parks was a US equal rights activist.
30 of 77  -   Report This Post