CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crates

11th December 2017, 12:45
Smithsax - Confused about single solution. I had two Playfair solutions - one for asterisk and one for non-askerisk. Only one gives the 'thematic' animal if I'm assuming correctly...
41 of 64  -   Report This Post

smithsax

11th December 2017, 13:24
My mistake. I had not realised that both answers could be encoded with either code word and still fit. I happened on the correct solution first time and did not think to try it the other way round, very clever.
42 of 64  -   Report This Post

ethik

12th December 2017, 14:25
Help needed please with W. H.'s code word....
43 of 64  -   Report This Post

smithsax

12th December 2017, 15:27
I am on a learning curve with Playfair. I have learned there are several on line tools which will give you real word options for code words if you put in a few matched source word and encoded character pairs. You dont have to have complete words. Any matched pairs in any order will do.
There are two code words that can be used to encode both thematic names. You can put in all the pairs you have from both names together using first the starred answers then the non starred answers and you should get two lists of possible code words.
The correct code words from each list are relevant to the theme and are related. One is four letters and the other eight.
Finally use one code word to encode one name and the other to encode the other name so that an animal is displayed.
44 of 64  -   Report This Post

meursault

12th December 2017, 16:03
Ethik, see comment 7. Try the link.
45 of 64  -   Report This Post

ethik

12th December 2017, 16:04
Thanks to you both!
46 of 64  -   Report This Post

simond9x

12th December 2017, 17:35
Well, I've finished but what a struggle! I'm still relatively new to The Listener and this was my first Playfair. I had to guess the ending of 10 as I didn't have all the extra letters but it wasn't much of a stretch after I'd got 1.

So, whilst I got all the answers for these, I wonder if anyone could help me with the following please.....

23* - couldn't fully parse this (kip?)
35 - Brussels square?
26 - parsing/extra letter?
28 - parsing/extra letter?
33 - parsing/extra letter?
37 - parsing/extra letter?

Thanks.
47 of 64  -   Report This Post

meursault

12th December 2017, 17:52
Hi Simon.
23* Bit of a kip is an AT (100 to a kip). Confederacy = CSA
35 By 'captures' EU and s (E extra)
26 provincial man = MUN, leftie = RED. M extra
28 even (fair) to s(end) without end. O extra
33 without = Ex, pleasure = treat. Take away R. T extra
37 Geneva = gin. Irish = Ir. I extra
48 of 64  -   Report This Post

simond9x

12th December 2017, 18:11
Hi meursault,

Thanks for that - every day's a schoolday!

Cheers.
49 of 64  -   Report This Post

meursault

12th December 2017, 18:22
And always for me too; you're welcome, Simon.
50 of 64  -   Report This Post