CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

riversk

9th December 2017, 19:59
I can’t sort wordplay for 21 or KRONE. Help, please. Thanks!
21 of 64  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

9th December 2017, 20:11
21 look at 4th definition of tun in Chambers. Dee is the river.

22 of 64  -   Report This Post

wintonian

9th December 2017, 20:16
An anabiotic form can return to life after appearing dead. An example of an anabiotic form is a cryptobiont, which is a biological sense of the word “tun”.

Don’t we learn a lot doing crosswords?
23 of 64  -   Report This Post

meursault

9th December 2017, 20:30
7D(b). I thought that I'd reasoned this okay, but looking again, I'm not so sure. Anyway. I thought KRI for a bible interpretation, perhaps a bit of a stretch, so if that is cut, leaves KR. Gambling game EO. E extra. But then I double counted the extra letter, reading NE for ENE, variation of EVEN or Just.

But Krone is rock solid, since letters 2-5 are checked by 7D(a), and the K is checked by playfair square encoding.
24 of 64  -   Report This Post

wintonian

9th December 2017, 20:47
Re 7d(b), K’RI is a marginal reading of the Hebrew Bible, the I is cut, and then “just after” is a definition of ON. Finally, the betting game is EO, with O being the extra letter. This gives KRONE.

Now I can relax.
25 of 64  -   Report This Post

saoralba

9th December 2017, 20:48
Meursault, the clue works thus: KR(I), as you suspected, but then ON for 'just after' and E(O) - making O the extra letter.
26 of 64  -   Report This Post

meursault

9th December 2017, 20:49
That makes better sense
27 of 64  -   Report This Post

dryden

10th December 2017, 08:32
That clue for KRONE is just awful. It has a very obscure three-letter word with the last letter deleted, the definition, as Meursault has pointed out, is incorrect, and the surface isn't particularly coherent.

I'm not quite as bowled over by this puzzle as some. I did largely enjoy it, and the idea is a good one, but rather too many extra letters came from two-letter words and abbreviations (especially down clues), which I've always found inelegant and uninteresting. My other gripe is that both clues to 1 and 10 are inadequate, for different reasons. So it's the detail rather than the overall concept and structuring that I think could have been improved.

However, it appears to be a new setter, so I don't want to be overly critical of an interesting debut.
28 of 64  -   Report This Post

deadlypun

10th December 2017, 10:50
Greetings from a snow bound north wales. I am absolutely flummoxed by the two clues for the thematic names. Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction, please?
29 of 64  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

10th December 2017, 10:53
One is a sounds like type of clue

Said gday to Buddhist

Hei sen

Singer is the sewing machine in the other. I in the wordplay is the rather obscure CH.
30 of 64  -   Report This Post