CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

prospero

6th December 2017, 12:27
The actual entries are real words but some of the crossers won't help because some of the words have to be changed according to the instruction spelt out by the extra letters
31 of 44  -   Report This Post

david w

6th December 2017, 12:41
Thank you Prospero. So the change is more than the transposition I was suspecting from the conflict between 20D and 25A, but I'm not going to guess what it is from my nine letters! Oh well. This is plainly above my pay grade.
32 of 44  -   Report This Post

tintin

6th December 2017, 14:03
I can normally crack the Genius in a couple of days but this one is doing my head in! I understand the first bit of the instructions i.e. the extra letter but I still haven't cracked the other instruction re altering certain words before entry, despite having solved a number of clues. Am I right in thinking that the extra letters spell out a 7 word instruction?
33 of 44  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th December 2017, 14:11
Yes, the instruction is 7 words. I couldn't get it either - then I suddenly realised what it must be by trying to get 3d to fit ...
34 of 44  -   Report This Post

sircrispin

6th December 2017, 19:54
Would anyone like to set up an extra-difficult club? I know there are plenty of potential setters in this forum.
35 of 44  -   Report This Post

hamishsoup

6th December 2017, 20:44
Well, there are already a decent number of difficult puzzles out there (the Genius, though I'll admit mine's on the harder end of the spectrum within them), the Inquisitor (in the i on Saturdays), the Enigmatic Variations (Telegraph weekly), Magpie magazine (monthly barred puzzles)...
36 of 44  -   Report This Post

tintin

6th December 2017, 22:30
I've finally cracked it! However the last word in the 7 word instruction re altering answers is one of my bug bears at supermarket check-out notices in that it is just plain wrong! Call me a pedant if you like.......
37 of 44  -   Report This Post

david w

6th December 2017, 22:59
I'm going to make another attack on this tomorrow using the hints already supplied, although some of the clues do seem a bit too Wee Stinkerish to be soluble by the likes of me without the help of reliable crossers. But what I would like to say now is how wonderful I think it is to have Soup on here taking an interest in our struggles!
38 of 44  -   Report This Post

hamishsoup

7th December 2017, 07:06
I hope you will forgive it; I only had a limited number of letters!
39 of 44  -   Report This Post

hamishsoup

7th December 2017, 07:13
Glad you approve. I am relatively new to setting (have only been doing it about five years) so I am keen to see what my victims think - it will help me make future puzzles more enjoyable. Interested here in the number of comments about parsing on this one, so will look at that for the future.
40 of 44  -   Report This Post