CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

samovar

26th November 2017, 16:59
Got 17 now, thanks, simond9x. Hoping that the wretched 19 will suddenly spring to mind !
41 of 71  -   Report This Post

dorsetjan

26th November 2017, 17:17
simond9x and Dryden - it is the corrected word in the definition that is obsolete
42 of 71  -   Report This Post

buzzb

26th November 2017, 18:06
Samovar, if you consult the Wikipedia entry for the answer to the clue, you will see that it was in use in the 19th century
43 of 71  -   Report This Post

dorsetjan

26th November 2017, 18:14
Sorry - previous comment was re 10 ac.
44 of 71  -   Report This Post

samovar

26th November 2017, 18:27
Thank you very much, Buzzb. I never thought of 19c in that way! But I still can't see the misprint which I presume is in the first word. Sorry to be such a thicko.
45 of 71  -   Report This Post

buzzb

26th November 2017, 18:58
The misprint is the U in rUde.

I have the overlaps:
Names 1 & 2 make the line overlapping by one letter.
3,4,5 form a loop with the being the longest of those. It overlaps 4 by one, 4 overlaps 5 by two letters, 5 overlaps 3 by 1 letter. That loop also goes thru the common letter in 1/2 and the last letter in 2. There is an unfortunate coincidence of letters in 2 and 3 which mislead one into thinking that 2 and 3 overlap by four letters.

The whole is indeed 22 cells, in a symmetric representation.

Knowing next to nothing about the theme, I wonder if those five characters have something more in common than just being five out of many more stars. And why refer to them as 'characters'?
46 of 71  -   Report This Post

crucifer

26th November 2017, 19:18
Agree with you, Buzzb. I take it you mean "the 3 being the longest of those". I'm a bit underwhelmed by this puzzle, a lot of graft but little fun, I thought. I can't think of anything the five have in common other than their skill with the stylised object. 1 was definitely a character though!
47 of 71  -   Report This Post

samovar

26th November 2017, 19:27
Thanks, Buzzb. That's what I thought, but wasn't entirely sure.
48 of 71  -   Report This Post

smithsax

27th November 2017, 09:25
All finished but I found it very frustrating.
I do not own a copy of the ODQ so I cannot check the quotation.
If it is the short parodic poem then it appears rather obscure. I can’t believe many are familiar with it. Even after identifying the author from the statement extensive Googling failed to lead me to the poem.
It was only after loads of grid staring that I recognised two overlapping names, which led to a possible sporting theme, more names then an implement.
It was only then, after completing the puzzle that the statement made sense and I was able eventually to find the poem.
Not much of a reward for identifying all those missing letters and spelling mistakes.
49 of 71  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

27th November 2017, 13:50
Yes, I feel a bit grumpy, too. Still no idea what the quotation is.
50 of 71  -   Report This Post