CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

christamac

6th August 2017, 15:17
Ah, I see now. It's an abbreviation for 'other ranks'. Will remember that now!
61 of 87  -   Report This Post

malone

6th August 2017, 15:20
Good, Christamac - I should have thought to put in what the abbreviation stood for. I'm sure you'll come across OR again soon - and sometimes it's even RO as it can be 'men returning'.
62 of 87  -   Report This Post

jazzlover42

6th August 2017, 18:42
Hi Malone,

Still struggling on the bottom right-hand corner.

30d is now WOU _ _ TS. Have found that if I use bits for roles, this gives me a regional term for a hairy caterpillar - but hardly shabby little people.

Also that gives me I _ DA for 46a) Fish with a plan.
If the caterpillar is right, the plan stumps me!

Could you please help out?
63 of 87  -   Report This Post

malone

6th August 2017, 18:45
The caterpillars is right- my Chambers mentions the shabby people.
The plan is just Idea- Ide, fish,with 'a'.
64 of 87  -   Report This Post

jazzlover42

6th August 2017, 18:59
Thanks, Malone. That's very helpful and kind of you. Had two possibilities for 39 d earlier - but had entered the wrong one. Duh!

At the top I'm having problems too. Have 18a - and had assumed I'd leave the L out of the latter. But 4d seems to be FILL and 6d _ NSE _ E.

LREET isn't a word in any dictionary I own - nor is LREAT. I assumed it's AREET, meaning 4d is _ ILA. But to get a charge and a cover out of that is proving impossible.

Could you please tell me where I'm going wrong?
65 of 87  -   Report This Post

malone

6th August 2017, 19:05
4 D isn't Fill - it's an odder, less usual word.
6 D. Is a two-letter word for 'space' (a printing term, used a ,lot in crosswords) and an everyday word for Stable (as in steady).

18 A was an odd word, it was an 'o' that was removed.

PS I always think it's better to give the clues, but I don't have time to add them!
66 of 87  -   Report This Post

jazzlover42

6th August 2017, 19:14
Thanks again Malone. Then the 18a I'd got is wrong.

I'll ponder the printing term (don't think I've ever come across it) and reconsider.
67 of 87  -   Report This Post

malone

6th August 2017, 19:29
Jazzlover, the printing term (for 'space') is En - I think you'll get the rest of the word very quickly.
68 of 87  -   Report This Post

jazzlover42

6th August 2017, 19:56
Thanks once again. Of course! I've heard of en - useful Scrabble word - but forgot it was a space.

Am getting a bit muddled now so think I'll give the remaining clues a rest until tomorrow.
69 of 87  -   Report This Post

malone

6th August 2017, 20:55
Jazzlover, glad you knew of En - many of these little words come in very handy for crosswords and for Scrabble.
70 of 87  -   Report This Post