CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

18th June 2017, 16:52
It's at the very back in my edition (12th), in the 'words in the 'Phrases and quotations from foreign languages' section.
41 of 61  -   Report This Post

smithsax

18th June 2017, 16:58
Nearly there but need a little help. Is the last letter of 4 across I or Y? Also can't parse 4 th down clue so I have 2 options for the grid. Everything else now works.
42 of 61  -   Report This Post

smithsax

18th June 2017, 16:59
I mean the 4th across clue
43 of 61  -   Report This Post

meursault

18th June 2017, 17:11
Smithsax, 4th ac answer ends in I, GH(ana) ARR(ived) I(n). 4th d is a stock marshal trotted out by setters, perhaps the only one they know. NEY
44 of 61  -   Report This Post

gitto

18th June 2017, 17:28
Meursault, that is what I've done (eventually), but there is too much ambiguity about the 2 seven letter entries (or not) for my liking.
45 of 61  -   Report This Post

crates

18th June 2017, 17:46
Although occasionally they may end in an anti-climax, I always use Ocam's razor principle and it has proved correct in the past. So taken literally would just leave blanks.
re 'chubby' although not technically correct, am I the only one who quite likes them (there have been similar in the past) and kick myself when setter has put me off the scent.
46 of 61  -   Report This Post

smithsax

18th June 2017, 22:05
Thanks meursault. I am still quite new to the Listener but enjoying learning. I could not see how you get I from in. Still not sure.
I Googled Marshall Sey and Wey but for some reason missed Ney. All finished now.
47 of 61  -   Report This Post

orson

19th June 2017, 14:58
smithsax, Chambers gives i as a form of "in".

Filling in all the bars at the end was a drag and it seemed pointless, unless it makes it easier for the man in St Albans to check things.

I actually read a criticism of this puzzle on a certain other website; they who are usually so effusive in their praise! I thought it was OK but I wish there would be a hint somewhere if foreign words are needed. (Perhaps the 15-letter across solution is a hint.)
48 of 61  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

19th June 2017, 15:30
Thanks to all, as ever, for getting me over the line. Been staring at it for hours willing myself to finish without help. So, what exactly is the point of my German A level???????
49 of 61  -   Report This Post

meursault

19th June 2017, 19:27
Orson, we're in total agreement this time. And whatever differences there've been between us can hopefully be buried. It's very frustrating to see this in the Listener puzzle (again) : "but for a haporth of tar." The setter obviously put quite a bit of work into it, yet the puzzle will be remembered by some for a foreign quote which wasn't really indicated, and by others for an unclued ending re the unclued clues.
50 of 61  -   Report This Post