CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

demeter

18th June 2017, 00:17
Ah, I see. Thanks crucifer.

Very underwhelming.
31 of 61  -   Report This Post

gitto

18th June 2017, 04:44
I still don't see what I do with the two three letter answers, although I can see they can be entered symmetrically, and not in a straight line. Why I should do this - not a clue.

Also the two unclued entries are 7 letters, and "silence gives consent" is worrying me - i.e. does it suggest a code using the seven letter words?

Finally, if the answers are no answer, then the 4, 2 word, 5 letter answers, become 4, symmetric, 3 letter answers, and nothing suggests existing answers should be mutilated.
32 of 61  -   Report This Post

dryden

18th June 2017, 09:13
I share Gitto's concerns. Until I read the message that points out the phrase in Chambers I'd decided to leave the two seven-letter entries completely blank, on the grounds that there is no answer and therefore no entry. Now I see the Chambers translation I'm beginning to wonder if one or both of those entries should be filled with CONSENT, especially given the puzzle's title. This will create non-words in crossing entries, but that's not uncommon. The preamble refers to 'the other unclued entries.' If the cells are left blank then nothing has been entered, so it's incorrect to describe it as an entry.

Gitto, I don't understand the problem with the two three-letter answers. I have entered them symmetrically as across entries in the normal way.
33 of 61  -   Report This Post

planks

18th June 2017, 09:16
I'm with you Gitto. The endgame has me confused, I can't help feeling there should be a clever twist - not just the rather underwhelming sense of 'was that it?' I am currently feeling.

Time to put it aside and enjoy the fine weather I think.
34 of 61  -   Report This Post

gitto

18th June 2017, 10:38
Dryden, I too can fit the 3 letter words in normally, but then I have a blank square at the beginning of row 5 and at the end of row 9. An earlier thread suggested, I think, that these 2 answers are not entered normally.
35 of 61  -   Report This Post

dryden

18th June 2017, 10:53
Gitto, it sounds as if our grids are different. I'm not claiming mine is right, but I have the first three-letter word at the beginning of row 5 and no other entry on that row. Similarly I have the other three-letter word at the end of row 9, with no other entry on that row.
36 of 61  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

18th June 2017, 11:11
That's also what I have Dryden.
37 of 61  -   Report This Post

meursault

18th June 2017, 13:22
Hi Gitto, I've just got to about the same position and thought it was time to see what others thought. Also perhaps to state ("keeping dark is hateful" is a much better quote isn't it ?) that this was another perfectly good puzzle ruined.

I think if you separate your rem from your ad, your key from your in, your pm from your two, and your to from your due, then you can achieve the 3 letter entries in the correct places and have 2 completely empty entries for the unclued.
38 of 61  -   Report This Post

meursault

18th June 2017, 13:40
...and I have an issue with "Chubby creature's..." in that the adjective chubby applies to plump [Perh from chub], so isn't definitely related to the fish.
39 of 61  -   Report This Post

demeter

18th June 2017, 16:47
Could someone tell me where to find the Chambers entry for the phrase?

Thanks
40 of 61  -   Report This Post