CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

muraria

4th March 2017, 21:10
Hi Bunty, there are four 'books' from the unclued words. 1A is the first word of the 1st. There are three intervening 'books' that slot between these, so you go 1A to the word in the 3rd column (the 1st book) then there''s a missing book , then the unclued word in the 4th column to the unclued word in the 6th and so on, all sorted in alphabetical order.

The 4th book is a missing book, beginning with a word in the dictionary next to the unclued word in 6th column to a word in the dictionary next to unclued word in 7th (your RAN?).

Phew....err, hope that's clear ?
41 of 49  -   Report This Post

bunty

5th March 2017, 00:15
Thanks - you were typing as i was typing that i was sorted.
42 of 49  -   Report This Post

galfridus

5th March 2017, 12:43
I am out of circulation with no chance of getting a copy of the puzzle. I would be very grateful if a fellow solver could send me a copy. (fleetj@btinternet.com )
With many thanks.
43 of 49  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

5th March 2017, 13:39
galfridus ... it should be with you now
44 of 49  -   Report This Post

moorish

8th March 2017, 22:09
They are "books" in the sense of volumes of an encyclopedia, are they not?
45 of 49  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

8th March 2017, 23:49
Moorish ... yes
46 of 49  -   Report This Post

martianalien

9th March 2017, 10:20
I understand what you say muraria, but the extra letters to the down clues do not look very likely as "hints". For example, the TO item for the 4th book is RAN?, but have no idea what this should be. Does a hint explain this?
47 of 49  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

9th March 2017, 10:49
if you have the 3rd book you must have the beg of the 4th book...
if you look at the 3 volumes .... to .... ; .... to ....; .... to .... they make "little phrases" ...... so what could come after what you have for the beg of the 4th book (hint it's 6 letters)
48 of 49  -   Report This Post

martianalien

9th March 2017, 11:52
Many thanks, xwordfan.
Yes, I now see what that 6-letter word is, and also what follows it!
Ergo, I know what RAN? is, and hence the three missing "books".
49 of 49  -   Report This Post