CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

smithsax

22nd January 2017, 23:42
I don't have an issue with highlighting the addressees. I have all five in straight lines including some diagonals with the double letters read in each cell left to right. Makes sense to me.
21 of 33  -   Report This Post

smithsax

22nd January 2017, 23:50
Some may feel it is an unflattering description of a model.
22 of 33  -   Report This Post

dryden

23rd January 2017, 09:07
Smithsax, how do you know that your solution is correct? Over the years items to be highlighted in the Listener have followed all sorts of routes, not necessarily straight lines. There is no unwritten rule that tells us to choose straight lines where there is a choice.

I have been pondering this for some time and have come to a tentative conclusion. My premise is that the editors cannot possibly have overlooked the ambiguities, so there must be a way of ensuring that there is a unique solution that can be logically arrived at. I think I have seen why one solution is the intended one and the others will be marked wrong because they do not comply with the puzzle's requirements.
23 of 33  -   Report This Post

smithsax

23rd January 2017, 10:30
Ah - I see. I am new to the Listener crossword. I have only been doing it for the last few months (since retiring).
It just seemed most logical to use straight lines and read the double letter cells left to right as in the solutions.
Still learning.
24 of 33  -   Report This Post

smithsax

23rd January 2017, 10:48
Dryden. I see what you are getting at. Do we accept a potential reversal of characters in a cell to achieve a loose representation of a corner of a relevant image?
25 of 33  -   Report This Post

unclued

23rd January 2017, 11:24
Dryden You've lost me! What do you mean by the puzzle's requirements? There's nothing in the preamble that indicates straight lines must be used.
26 of 33  -   Report This Post

crates

23rd January 2017, 11:41
Dryden - I await the revealed answer in due course. Having completed quite quickly on Saturday and chosen straight line option I haven't the patience to delve deeper and perhaps spend fruitless hours as I did with Poat's 'HARE'. - not being satisfied with the correct solution that I spotted very quickly. I presume all spotted the NW to SE diagonal - assumed 'red herring'.
27 of 33  -   Report This Post

smartie

23rd January 2017, 12:13
Stuck on two final clues - 8 and 9 in the list - rabbit artist and torpedo disorder. A gentle nudge would be appreciated! Thanks
28 of 33  -   Report This Post

orson

23rd January 2017, 12:21
Hi smartie - artist is the definition and "rabbit" leads to a 3-letter word for empty talk.
29 of 33  -   Report This Post

crates

23rd January 2017, 12:35
Hi Smartie - and disorder forgotten (obselete) is the definition and torpedo leads to a 3 letter word for type of fish
30 of 33  -   Report This Post