CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

patch49

22nd January 2017, 10:27
I have highlights going vertically, horizontally and diagonally but after lot of grid staring I am still missing the fourth word. Hint please.
11 of 33  -   Report This Post

notrab

22nd January 2017, 10:49
There are two diagonals in the four other addresses. One (which I guess you have) is four letters and runs down NE to SW. The other is six cells containing nine letters and runs up SW to N E.
12 of 33  -   Report This Post

patch49

22nd January 2017, 11:07
Of course I can see it now. Thanks Notrab.
13 of 33  -   Report This Post

orson

22nd January 2017, 13:12
Is there a mistake in the order of the clues?

For "Stone, hard on board space station (6)" I have MIHRAB (H in MIR with AB not clued).

And for "Cutie Grace hired man for foreign service (4)" I have MERC (cut mercy for a word for a mercenary). But then the answers are not in alphabetical order. I must have made a mistake and yet my answers make perfect sense.
14 of 33  -   Report This Post

reynard

22nd January 2017, 13:42
Your answer for "stone" is incorrect, albeit feasible, as you will discover when attempting to assemble the grid.
15 of 33  -   Report This Post

orson

22nd January 2017, 14:10
Thanks, reynard.
16 of 33  -   Report This Post

meursault

22nd January 2017, 14:36
Hi Dryden, my previous comment concerning ambiguity did assume that the addresses would be in straight lines, and that the letters would be in the correct sequence. The preamble should perhaps have indicated this. Then there is only one option for each address.

My earlier point about the IS is that it cannot possibly be orientated to correctly represent a top-to-bottom entry, left-to-right entry and a diagonal right-to-left entry at the same time.
17 of 33  -   Report This Post

dryden

22nd January 2017, 14:57
Meursault, I agree with your point about IS. That double-letter cell is not suited to a subject on a NE to SW diagonal. However, in both the across entry and the down entry the letters for the words are in the sequence IS, however the solver chooses to place them in the cell. By the same token I guess one could argue that therefore they are in that sequence for the word to be highlighted.

Nevertheless, I do wish it had been done differently. The puzzle as a whole is good and was enjoyable to solve, but the grid strikes me as a bit sloppy.
18 of 33  -   Report This Post

galfridus

22nd January 2017, 16:33
I am making steady progress but the answers to the long clues, with the exception of that for which the definition is "model" are proving to be a major stumbling block which means that I cannot start filling the grid. Some hints would be welcome either on this forum or direct to fleetj@btinternet.com
With many thanks.
19 of 33  -   Report This Post

crates

22nd January 2017, 17:24
Galfridus - sent hints of long answers by email
20 of 33  -   Report This Post