CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rrrobbo

6th August 2016, 22:54
Cheers. I actually got the quote after finally working out all of a and d. Of course I have the instructions for b, but I just can't get anywhere. For c I have only 36 in the grid, which just looks like a normal clue, which disturbs me as I should surely have a hint from it towards d. I do also have 26 and the 3-clue theme but really no idea how to enter it. Wondering if 31 starts with the same 4 letters (but can't totally see the word play) although the bottom letter and the one left to it from the quote suggest I might be right and the entry might just reflect the theme word. Hmmmmm.......would appreciate another little push.
41 of 47  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

6th August 2016, 23:13
I just talked myself into virtually completing c but I still don't get how the clues get me to the word removals in d. I also don't get some of the word play, but it's late in the day. Don't help me yet - the old grey matter might still be in with a chance 8-)
42 of 47  -   Report This Post

meursault

6th August 2016, 23:56
rrrRobbo, I won't say too much, except to stress the knock-on of the gimmicks from one quadrant to the next. So, the removed letters from A signal amendments in B clues, the amendments in B clues spell to 'add a letter' in C clues, the added letters in C clues - eg na(V)y in 36, spell 'remove a word.'
43 of 47  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

7th August 2016, 07:47
thanks. I actually tried to make "remove a word" by looking at letters to remove from C but obviously that would only work if I was removing the letters that I am supposed to be adding! So much for my 'normal' 36. Why cant Nay be N on its own? There are far too many words that just 'might' represent one letter in some of these puzzles. Its early days and I expect I will get there, but how, in 25, does 'lie tense' become 'lt' just by adding an 'r'? Is l only for lier and not for lie?
44 of 47  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

7th August 2016, 08:32
30 minutes later and I am done! Still not 100% sure about some of the parsing, but I think it must be time to move on to this week's challenges, starting with the kitchen after my 15 year old's birthday sleepover. My body is still reeling from having to make up the numbers at the trampolining party!

Thanks for seeing me to the finish line again. That was a really tough one.

Don't get me started on these 'words that some poet might use type clues either!!
45 of 47  -   Report This Post

meursault

7th August 2016, 09:40
I'm glad you got it sorted. Your question about 'N' : those single letter possibilities hang very much on what is shown in Chambers. I totally agree that 'N' should be an acceptable shortening of 'No' as in 'Y/N', but I see that even that is not in my Chambers.

Good luck with the kitchen project...
46 of 47  -   Report This Post

meursault

7th August 2016, 09:43
...similarly, in 25 L is for lire. Which is shown in Chambers...
47 of 47  -   Report This Post