CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

orson

31st July 2016, 16:48
I've just noticed why there are those empty 3 spaces in C.
11 of 47  -   Report This Post

jaye

31st July 2016, 16:49
Orson, it will all become clear as you solve that quadrant.
12 of 47  -   Report This Post

orson

31st July 2016, 16:58
Yes, I saw it just after I posted! Just grid D to go.
13 of 47  -   Report This Post

unclued

31st July 2016, 19:40
Just had a PSA finishing this one - a lovely new abbreviation discovered in this puzzle!
14 of 47  -   Report This Post

xij

31st July 2016, 20:11
Great puzzle, thanks Xanthippe. Nice to see a clean one this week after all the "Nuts, nads, cojones and dangly bits" of last week (honestly, you men.)"
Having got the gist of this one I was expecting to see references to Tits and Breasts.
Just one query: is this a real quote, if so to whom is it attributable, or is it made up?
15 of 47  -   Report This Post

unclued

31st July 2016, 20:24
Look up Adam Smith.
16 of 47  -   Report This Post

meursault

31st July 2016, 20:40
xij, you didn't escape completely - nut pine ?

The author of the quote was very well known, though primarily as an economist. His social ideas derived from men such as Locke, and the ideas from his magnum opus, 'An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations' were of great significance and extensively quoted, including in the 'Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts' of Karl Marx.
17 of 47  -   Report This Post

xij

31st July 2016, 23:07
Thanks unclued and meursault. Still can't find it, not that it matters.
18 of 47  -   Report This Post

meursault

1st August 2016, 09:56
xij, looking at the long unclued entries, if you've mostly completed quadrants A and D, then you have the last 3 words, clockwise. Those are enough to find the quote on internet. Searching for just the last 2 words isn't realistic, there are too many quotes with that phrase.
19 of 47  -   Report This Post

ginge

1st August 2016, 10:35
Hi meursault (et al),
One of the, unintended I'm sure, consequences of having solved "A" gives 5 letters leading to "B" of what realistically can only be 1 word in some form and if this is looked up in the index of ODQ (my edition 6th) there are only 3 possibilities of which this is one. Confirmed by the number of letters "fitting" and the ending corresponding with the "rest" of "A".
20 of 47  -   Report This Post