CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

smartie

2nd August 2016, 15:57
Very surprised I completed this excellent offering. Just two clues I'm having trouble parsing - 39 and 46. Got the answers and the thematic words. Help please to understand all!
31 of 47  -   Report This Post

wintonian

2nd August 2016, 16:46
Hi, Smartie. For 39d, the word "Rover" needs to be removed, and the wordplay is "driving company" (giving AA) and "200" (giving H - this is one of those medieval Roman numerals that often pop up in Listener and other advanced crosswords).

For 46a, the word "using" needs to be removed. Think of a four-letter word that you might use for "utter" in a sentence like "it was utter delight", and drop the last letter (implied by "mostly"). The "dog letter" was part of the theme of Listener 4381 back in January, otherwise I would not have known which letter this is. Despite the reference to dogs in the clue, the answer is a sound associated with a quite different pet.
32 of 47  -   Report This Post

smartie

2nd August 2016, 17:39
Many thanks Wintonian. 39 is obvious now you explain it. I did not know about the dog letter in 46 but have now found the reference in Chambers. All now clear!
33 of 47  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

4th August 2016, 16:33
Tough one for me. Have finally made inroads to sector A but a bit stuck now. Some hint for 8 across would be appreciated - I have LE to remove but not sure which E. Also, Am I right with these letters in the 2nd column - e_u_anf____?
34 of 47  -   Report This Post

meursault

4th August 2016, 19:10
rrrRobbo, you're correct about the letters to be dropped from 8. Drop them from the 2nd and 4th words respectively to leave the female and male of an animal. Which is also the reverse of a hell-raising actor.

Yes, you're right about the letters, but remember that the quote goes clockwise, so you're looking there at the last couple of words.
35 of 47  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

5th August 2016, 18:59
Oh man. Getting nowhere further. Are 2, 4 and 5 real words when entered? I have a possible real word for 5 where I have m-t-ls and a thought that it might bean anagram of a word for charm without a u and an s thrown I for no good reason...... But then my 4 just can't be a real word. Nothing ends reg surely.....weep.....
36 of 47  -   Report This Post

unclued

5th August 2016, 19:59
rrobbo - you're looking for 3 anagrams of fish - SOLE, SANDER and SAMLET.
37 of 47  -   Report This Post

unclued

5th August 2016, 20:02
11 is UNHANDS which might sort out your G problem.
38 of 47  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

5th August 2016, 22:39
Grrrr. Sometimes things are so obvious but your brain just won't see them. Two weeks holiday beckon. Hopefully my brain will appreciate it. I had unhangs.......check back soon for more pleads please. I'll give it until Monday and then give up! Thanks as ever.
39 of 47  -   Report This Post

meursault

6th August 2016, 20:36
rrrRobbo, I'll keep checking in until Monday evening. You've got 2 ways into the quote : I gave the ending "...of nature." and Ginge gave the start "Connections..." so maybe search for a combination of the 2, together with Adam Smith ? I think the quote was from a tract titled 'Essays on Philosophical Subjects', though as I said earlier, it wasn't what Smith was best know for...
40 of 47  -   Report This Post