CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

8th July 2016, 20:35
Very nice, mattrom. Thanks, jws. Thanks to ginge too for the mention.
51 of 62  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

8th July 2016, 21:17
Well done mattrom and thanks to jws for hosting.
Cheers for the votes chrise and paul.
52 of 62  -   Report This Post

mattrom

8th July 2016, 21:40
Thank you so much for the votes from ginge, aristo, les40, tatters, dorrien and FJ.
Thanks also to JWS - I thought it was a tricky phrase to clue. I enjoyed the clip, took me back to the G&S productions at my old school.

Cheers till next week
53 of 62  -   Report This Post

les40

8th July 2016, 21:49
Well done mattrom, cheers jws
54 of 62  -   Report This Post

stevea6000

9th July 2016, 00:54
Congrats mattrom. Thanks jws,
55 of 62  -   Report This Post

fieryjack

9th July 2016, 05:55
Congratulations Mattrom
Cheers Jws
Thanks Ginge for the mention
56 of 62  -   Report This Post

pigale

9th July 2016, 10:08
Hi there,

Could anyone help me find a way to improve my surface reading ?
I have many ideas but don't seem to word the clue correctly,
Is there a site that can help me?

I thoroughly enjoy having a go but have no previous experience!

Thanks in advance
57 of 62  -   Report This Post

ginge

9th July 2016, 10:48
Oops, manners, thanks for the votes seamus and mattrom and possibly for the mention paul ?

@ pigale: I dont know of any such sites and I imagine not many of the regulars will look in to this thread again having posted their thanks so why not when posting your first clues to both Clueless & Peer Review next week ask again and also for some feedback on the structure of your clues after the results have been posted.
58 of 62  -   Report This Post

pigale

9th July 2016, 10:50
Thank you for answering Ginge - I'll follow your advice. It's frustrating to get an idea and then spoil everything because of a poorly worded clue!
59 of 62  -   Report This Post

paul

9th July 2016, 17:29
Well done Mattrom, cheers JWS, and thanks for the vote Marty!

@Pigale; difficult to give advice as the process (certainly on my case) is partly subconscious! I can only suggest thinking what misdirects/anagrinds/structural breakdowns would go nicely with your core clue to give a satisfying "crunch" to the surface reading. Perhaps might be an idea to go back through the past competitions to analyse how others have done so. Some people such as BBM2 (to name but one) are very consistent with their output. Hope that helps!
60 of 62  -   Report This Post