CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ginge

7th July 2016, 21:01
Hi Les, thanks for getting back and certainly don't withdraw your clue on the basis that the abbreviations aren't given in Chambers, "let the voters decide", I was interested in the source.
Regarinclude capitalisation, and not just with DBEs, for what it's worth I quite often read the synopsis from the Sunday Times clue writing contest and obviously while not gospel, clues are not considered if "undercapitalised".
Obviously if it's only 1 word that can be got round if the surface allows it to be the first word.
I too would like to hear from others, particularly Marty and the Oracle over the pond, aristo.
21 of 62  -   Report This Post

stevea6000

7th July 2016, 21:52
Ginge/les

In my decades of doing crosswords, I've seen upper-really-lower-case misdirection and vice versa, so I've assumed both are ok.

On the subject of the Sunday Times cluewriting competition, I was pleased to have my entry mentioned/analysed a few weeks ago.
22 of 62  -   Report This Post

dorrien

7th July 2016, 22:36
Prime hotel work requires time for performance (5,5)
23 of 62  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

7th July 2016, 22:43
ginge: I feel that a capitalized word should only be used for misdirection if it's the first word of the clue. I wouldn't, say, use "parry" in the lower case if I was referring to the composer, whereas a clue beginning with "Parry hit" would of course be fine. But then I spell "capitalize" with a z- and I don't call it a zed.
24 of 62  -   Report This Post

seamus, ayrshire

7th July 2016, 22:46
Lather a soap? O very pinafore perhaps (5,5)
25 of 62  -   Report This Post

mattrom

7th July 2016, 22:49
Italian house where the fat lady sings for the Grand Duke, perhaps (5,5)

26 of 62  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

8th July 2016, 12:15
Duchy Originals organic pies eaten right after musical (5,5)

@les, ginge etc.
Whilst I mostly agree with aristo on the capitalization issue, I readily acknowledge that it can make any misdirection stand out and turn a brilliant surface read into an easy solve ! I think I would (and probably have) forget all about this "rule" for a real sparkler.
For more or less that same reason I can accept indication as little as an EM or QM in DBEs. Although the indication must be shown in some form.
As for abbreviations it does help if a preamble mentions the setters preferred resource. Personally I use the wlki disambiguation pages - i only have the Little Oxford in book form.
27 of 62  -   Report This Post

jws

8th July 2016, 12:22
Just 40 minutes to voting. We have 13 contestants with 19 entries
28 of 62  -   Report This Post

ginge

8th July 2016, 13:01
Among many I really liked Les's in context "spend time embracing" and fiery's use of the V & A, BBM2's reference to HRH's produce, love aristo's "outlet for histrionics" but, for me, the clue that comes together best is mattrom @ 26

@ aristo: thanks for replying. While I could have phrased it better we "see" things similarly.
@ BBM2: again, thanks for replying. We'll have to agree to disagree on the undercapitalisation. I accept your point it can be a "dead giveaway" but, I know this is my personal view, I don't think it's a misdirection fair to the solver. Fair comment re abbreviations. PS I'm a Ginsters man.
@ stevea: again, thanks for replying and congratulations on your mention.
29 of 62  -   Report This Post

seamus, ayrshire

8th July 2016, 13:02
ginge @ 8
30 of 62  -   Report This Post