CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

planks

19th June 2016, 12:16
Woodlouse, the preamble doesn't really but there are plenty of hints in the puzzle itself?
11 of 65  -   Report This Post

dylan

19th June 2016, 12:52
I'm still not seeing how the two surnames, given by the pairs of "special" clues, relate to the final quotation. The "obvious" interpretation of the 9+9 instruction seems to relate more to another, famous, work. More hints please!
12 of 65  -   Report This Post

planks

19th June 2016, 13:23
Have you looked at he spare words from the four clues, the surnames are a hint but the spare words pinpoint the location in a very famous work
13 of 65  -   Report This Post

meursault

19th June 2016, 18:07
I'm only about 2/3 there with the gridfill, and happy to plug away with that - it's become quite fun.

But I have some questions about entries I've already filled in : surely 11D is "I WILL", and isn't the last clause of the preamble unnecessary ? For 6D I've entered LISKS, assuming the definition comes from 21. But I'm struggling to see what the intermediate answer for 6D was. Liski is a place about halfway between Ukraine and Stalingrad, any connection ? Do they make toffees there ? Similarly in 8D I've entered DHARNAS (definition from 11), but have no idea what the intermediate form was.
14 of 65  -   Report This Post

ginge

19th June 2016, 18:29
Hi meursault, I agree re 11d.
6d. Kissel from artel.
8d. Hardpans, H + ard + (snap reversed)
15 of 65  -   Report This Post

demeter

19th June 2016, 18:31
Meursault,

No, that last clause of the preamble is justified, because Chambers only contains a listing for 'I'll'. Pre-treatment answer for 6D is a Russian pudding beginning with 'K'; that for 8D is HARDPANS.
16 of 65  -   Report This Post

crucifer

19th June 2016, 18:56
Finished the crossword, after a struggle, but cannot parse 1A. Any hints? Thought this was an excellent puzzle, and the grid construction is superb.
17 of 65  -   Report This Post

wintonian

19th June 2016, 19:23
crucifer,

In 1Ac, "the one choosing" is a definition for a treated form of one of the other across clues. That leaves the clue as "Master, second matron". Take the common one-letter abbreviation for "Master" and add a five-letter word meaning "second" (think of "the first or the second" as meaning "the one or the -----").

I'm at the vexing stage of having done a full grid, worked out the two nine-letter words, noted the hint to the location of the quotation and identified the two characters, but the final penny hasn't dropped so I'm still missing the quotation. Time for a break, I think.
18 of 65  -   Report This Post

crucifer

19th June 2016, 19:39
Thank you, Wintonian. I was fixated by "second =mo". Not my favourite clue in the puzzle.

Was held up for ages by having the 1st letter of 24D as W. The wrong number one!
19 of 65  -   Report This Post

meursault

19th June 2016, 20:55
Thanks Ginge and Demeter. I think what I was suggesting is that not every multi-word answer is going to be in the dictionary. Where would it end...
20 of 65  -   Report This Post