CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

5th June 2016, 20:44
How can I say you're wrong Barretter, except that my completed grid seems to stand up in my own interpretation of the setter's logic. To me, the whole point of the puzzle was that sequences of letters which couldn't be pronounced as literals stayed as they were. So, for ASKEW, the AS stays as it is, but the KEW gets changed to Q. So whatever precedes 'es' in 47A is just what it is. Once you've converted 'ES' to 'S', you can't have it both ways, you've already used the 'E' : so the first letter of the answer represents a palatalization...
51 of 79  -   Report This Post

barretter

5th June 2016, 21:54
I suspect we have the same entries but the sound at the beginning of "gesticulated" can be approximated as "dzh" (there is a symbol for it in the phonetic alphabet but not on my laptop's keyboard) and it can be represented in English by "g" or "j" (and in French too). It is not palatalized.
52 of 79  -   Report This Post

barretter

5th June 2016, 23:43
It's not exactly the same in French but the G/J similarity still applies. I suppose the logic is: use the original word as far as you can but use sort of phonetic representations where you can't but don't worry about consistency.
53 of 79  -   Report This Post

meursault

6th June 2016, 07:54
You should make these points on the wikipedia page on 'G'...
54 of 79  -   Report This Post

xij

6th June 2016, 17:23
Started with an mt grid, now dun. I should get my children to check it as this is the way they normally text. As for 47a, the title says literal spelling so, therefore, it should be a J. However 12a refutes this. Bit of an arsey problem. 39a too. I will probably put in both as I've had one incorrect this year so my 100% has already gone. Nice puzzle though, thanks Waterloo.
55 of 79  -   Report This Post

melbourne

6th June 2016, 22:12
Surely the point is not how we pronounce the letters, but what the accepted names of the letters are. Luckily there are no Zed/zee moments. Literal - referring to the letters themselves - spelling.
56 of 79  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

7th June 2016, 04:01
3.55am. Head cold. Can someone parse 2 down for me as my answer matches the second word in the clue, which seems odd. Also could be all the clue after the - but I can't find that definition. Also wondering which words one should pronounce chure instead of ture. Must buy a Chambers......

Oh, I am in the g club for 47a for sure as it just remains unchanged, not sounding like a g or a j.
57 of 79  -   Report This Post

buzzb

7th June 2016, 07:36
Re 2d: Swan refers to one of the Bard's theatres in Stratford.
58 of 79  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

7th June 2016, 11:36
Thanks but I'm none the wiser. I have nfred as the answer. Maybe that's wrong. I thought the swan could be pen, released could be freed, put them together and chop the head off to make that well known bird with a loudly vibrating tongue, the enfreed. Except I don't think that exists. I have even been to both the swan pub and the rsc, but the penny is not dropping here.
59 of 79  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

7th June 2016, 12:00
Oh, hang on. Are we saying enfreed is one of Wills words and we have

Hen or pen headless
F for loud
Reed for vibrating tongue

? That seems a lot harder than all the other clues!
60 of 79  -   Report This Post