CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

unclued

5th June 2016, 08:49
I don't understand why 35dn is QUEST. Can anyone explain? Thanks.
41 of 79  -   Report This Post

kirky

5th June 2016, 08:52
request minus about "re"
42 of 79  -   Report This Post

unclued

5th June 2016, 09:41
Thanks Kirky!
43 of 79  -   Report This Post

barretter

5th June 2016, 11:49
I think the problem with 47ac is that neither G, pronouced GEE nor J pronounced JAY really fits the pronunciation of "gesticulated".
44 of 79  -   Report This Post

essira

5th June 2016, 17:39
Not a reply to Barretter but as I see it further complications. What do we do with s, es or ese pronounced z e.g. as in gosling, dict. says gozling. This works for goes giving goz but the corresponding es in gesticulated is definitely just s, pronounced es so, which do we choose? In other crossing lights the S is pronounced Z in both cases so presumably we go for Z e.g. Neighs = NAZ and REFEREES = RFEREZ
Pays (PAZ) your money and takes your choice it seems to me.
45 of 79  -   Report This Post

meursault

5th June 2016, 18:27
Barretter, I'm not falling out with you, but if you had 'JAY' it can't possibly work. I've never heard anyone say Jaysticulated. Always a first time I guess...

Essira, thanks so much for "goes giving goz"...probably not a scenario conceived even by Jarvis Cocker. I think the point of substitution is that the word which is the entry still sounds the same with the new contents. So, though I like 'Refreeze' the word would actually need to sound like 'Refreeze Ed ?' I won't go any further into that either.
46 of 79  -   Report This Post

essira

5th June 2016, 18:44
I suppose since Chambers says S is often pronounced Z we can stick to the S, life is too complicated otherwise!
47 of 79  -   Report This Post

heisenberg

5th June 2016, 19:23
Paranoid with this one. Is 11d entered as GRIF or GREF? GRIF doesn't look right but the E is taken care of by the F ...
48 of 79  -   Report This Post

barretter

5th June 2016, 19:31
Meursault, the point I was trying to make was that the initial sound of "gesticulated" is neither "Jay" nor "gee". Nobody says "gee-esticulated either. What about 12across? Presumably the "C" is pronounced as "K" there, but in 8dn it is pronounced as "S". Looking at 7dn and 15ac, the final sound in both is "Z" so perhaps that is correct, but, as has been said, how do you choose between "S" and "Z" in the last letter of 39dn and 47ac. Presumably there must be some logic at work which I am not yet privy to. Not sure I care too much about it in this obe
49 of 79  -   Report This Post

barretter

5th June 2016, 19:57
"Grief" is pronounced as "greef" not as "gri-ef", so I think GREF is rite.
50 of 79  -   Report This Post